Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grizzly Man

Just got this from Blockbusteronline. It was very good.

There is a lot of nature in the film but it is not a nature film. It is a film about someone who spent time very close to Grizzly's to "protect them" and paid the price. It is a fascinating portrait of this guy using his own footage with narration from the documentary's director Werner Herzog.

Don't worry if you are squeamish. There is no actual footage of him being attacked. There is audio but they don't play it

Last night in San Pedro

Re: Grizzly Man

Grizzly Man, Timothy Treadwell, spent way too much time in the wilderness alone with his bears. Those self-made videos of himself tells all. But, what was even more tragic, is that the psycho convinced his girlfriend, Amie Huguenard, to join him in his madness. Consequence? "It's not nice to mess with Mother Nature."

Grizzly Man's competition in the Best Documentary Oscar category, March of the Penguins, is a much smarter movie and should walk away with the Academy Award.

Comment

Dammit Authorized, you know your advocacy is Oscar Death for a film.

And I had such high hopes for that penguin movie too.
      http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

I am SO pissed that Authy just F'ed March of the Penguins

Comment

Originally posted by Authorized
          Grizzly Man, Timothy Treadwell, spent way too much time in the wilderness alone with his bears. Those self-made videos of himself tells all. But, what was even more tragic, is that the psycho convinced his girlfriend, Amie Huguenard, to join him in his madness. Consequence? "It's not nice to mess with Mother Nature."

Grizzly Man's competition in the Best Documentary Oscar category, March of the Penguins, is a much smarter movie and should walk away with the Academy Award.

Authorized is the only person I know who plagerizes other people's opinions.

March Of The Penguins is not in competition with Grizzly Man for an Oscar. The AMPAS members, once again showing their lack of knowledge of documentary films, have inexplicably left Grizzly Man off of the ballot, even though it has appeared on over 60 film critics top ten lists. No other doc this year appeared on anywhere near that many lists.
          Last edited by kintnerboy; 12-30-2005, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Was it a matter of eligibility or did they just not think it was one of the best docs?

Originally posted by kintnerboy
            Authorized is the only person I know who plagerizes other people's opinions.

March Of The Penguins is not in competition with Grizzly Man for an Oscar. The AMPAS members, once again showing their lack of knowledge of documentary films, have inexplicably left Grizzly Man off of the ballot, even though it has appeared on over 60 film critics top ten lists. No other doc this year appeared on anywhere near that many lists.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

Originally posted by thatcomedian
              Was it a matter of eligibility or did they just not think it was one of the best docs?

My use of the word 'inexplicably' in the above post about sums it up.

It was absolutely eligible. It was named Best Doc by the critics in NY, LA, San Fran and many other cities. It was named Best Picture of the year by Time magazine and The Village Voice among others, yet it was not even on the list of docs to be narrowed down to 5 nominees next month.

The AMPAS media dept has declined comment on the reason.

Anyway, I hope Murderball wins (since they left The Aristocrats off too).

Comment

I don't mean to be insensitive but how come best doc is always a crip, tard, or the holocaust.

Originally posted by kintnerboy
                My use of the word 'inexplicably' in the above post about sums it up.

It was absolutely eligible. It was named Best Doc by the critics in NY, LA, San Fran and many other cities. It was named Best Picture of the year by Time magazine and The Village Voice among others, yet it was not even on the list of docs to be narrowed down to 5 nominees next month.

The AMPAS media dept has declined comment on the reason.

Anyway, I hope Murderball wins.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

It may not be a Doc because the subject was filming himself, and the movie was made out of that footage. It wasn't made with the intent of documenting the bears or this guys life. It might be that Impartial Observation idea that a documentary is supposed to have.

Comment

Impartial Observation is an antiquated ideal. Just ask Michael Moore, Morgan Spurlock, etc.

Comment

That may be. An unbiased position in a documentary is, I think, impossible. Either the film maker is secretly in league with his subjects or he is against them. Why else spend all that time assembling footage than to call attention to it?

Maybe it's time for the camera to stop pretending it doesn't care and get involved directly.

But, I still think this wasn't a "true" documentary. The filmmaker-director- did not "create" the idea for the documentary. He was a hired gun brought in to put together pre-existing footage.

Comment

Originally posted by whistlelock
                        But, I still think this wasn't a "true" documentary. The filmmaker-director- did not "create" the idea for the documentary. He was a hired gun brought in to put together pre-existing footage.
                        What qualifies as a "true documentary"?
                        March of the Penguins? It had CGI for pete's sake.
                        Touching the Void? It had actors.
                        Story of the Weeping Camel ? It had non-actors who were coached to do and say certain things that cohered w/ the "story".
                        If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed. -- Stanley Kubrick

Comment

Compiling found footage is definitely an acceptable form of documentary.

Comment

What CGI did March of the Penguins have? I remember seeing something about visual effects in the end credits, but I don't recall seeing anything in the movie that made me think it was CGI.

Comment

Penguins don't actually fvck like that, refried. That was put in so the Baptists wouldn't protest.

Comment

Working...
                              X