Sullivan's Travels - the Coens' favorite source of influence?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sullivan's Travels - the Coens' favorite source of influence?

The link to O. Brother is obvious but what about this exchange

COP: How does the girl fit into the picture?

SULLIVAN: There's always a girl in the picture. What's the matter, don't you go to the movies?

Explains the girl on the beach picture in Barton Fink?

Anyone ever pick out any other references in Coen films to Sullivan's Travels or am I just barking at a tree?

Anyway, safe to say Preston Sturges has always been alive and well in the Coens' films.

dclary: Preston Who?

billy: Some hump that no one remembers who Pen thinks matters. Even if anyone remembers him his movies are past dated and no longer relevant.

Thank you.

Re: Sullivan's Travels - the Coens' favorite source of influence?

"There's a lot to be said for making people laugh. Did you know that that's all some people have? It isn't much, but it's better than nothing in this cockeyed caravan."

Comment

Sturges's movies are brilliant. I'm a huge fan.

Comment

Preston Sturges is the greatest American screenwriter to ever live (he was a servicable director).

THE GREAT MCGINTY and HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO are my two faves.

Check out the commentary track to SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS on the Criterion disc. The track has Noah Baumbach, Christopher Guest, Michael Mckean, and Kenneth Bowser.
        Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

anyone else find The Lady Eve overrated? I'm a screwball comedy nut but this one left me underwhelmed. Though Henry Fonda and William Demarest did take some classic pratfalls

Comment

Also Dash Hammett's RED HARVEST - it's the source of the phrase "Blood Simple" and the source of the whole danged plot for MILLER'S CROSSING.

- Bill
            Free Script Tips:
            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

You know, I've heard that before. But I've read Red Harvest, and Miller's Crossing is one of my all-time favorite movies...and the similarities between the two don't run anywhere near that deep.

Comment

Did Sturges write about The Dude?

This isn't the Howard Johnson's.

Comment

Originally posted by Pen Dragon
                  anyone else find The Lady Eve overrated? I'm a screwball comedy nut but this one left me underwhelmed. Though Henry Fonda and William Demarest did take some classic pratfalls
                  Pen, I'm with you on this. THE LADY EVE is one of Sturges most popular films, but it's probably my least favorite of his work.
                  Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

Working...
                  X