Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being There (1979)

Finally saw this film that people rave about. Amusing, mind nibbling piece of work that I'll appreciate even more after another viewing (gotta knock some Pink Panther cobwebs out of my head first). Thinking man's Forrest Gump, maybe? Sellers was great but so was Douglas. Chance and the gay guy, Chance an "expert" in foriegn culture.

And the bloopers at the end -- an Englishman paraphrasing American street slang -- funny as hell.
    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
    - Screenwriting Friend

Re: Being There (1979)

one of my favorites.

vig

Comment

One of mine, too.
      I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Comment

I LOVE this film. Sellers was totally robbed when he didn't win the Oscar.

Being a closet Buddhist, I see this as the ultimate Zen movie -- do less, accomplish more, until you finally do nothing and accomplish everything.

Did you see the great reference to it in the last Arrested Development episode with Charlize Theron? When Charlize, being the simpleton, walked across the water in the pool?

Comment

Well Hoffman was pretty darn good in Kramer vs. Kramer but yeah, Sellers performance was literally poetic. Again, it's one of those films that warrant multiple viewings. Then you can talk about the television and musical references. Heh.

I also copped from the library another Ashby -- Harold & Maude -- and will see why people are so crazy about that.
          "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
          - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

A very good script...a movie with great performances.

Comment

Working...
            X