Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Man With the Golden Arm

Another brilliant piece of work from the late Otto Preminger. It is now on DVD in a very chic 2-Disc collector's set.

I'm certain many of you have seen this film, and since it has been awhile since I've posted, I decided to start this thread.

It had been quite awhile since I had last seen the movie, and I couldn't help catching some strikeing similarities between the exploitation of a heroin addict(The Man With the Golden Arm), versus the one we saw on alcoholism in Wilder's The Lost Weekend.

Frankie Machine(Frank Sinatra) really sways between respectable and detestable and back again over the course of the film. It is really an expose on hardcore character writing. And if you haven't seen it, you should give it a watch-especially if you enjoyed The Lost Weekend. Got to love the challenges a 'dark character' has to face...makes their life seem so real. Does to me anyway.

This is-in my opinion-the best acting turn by Frank Sinatra in his entire career. Yes, even better than his Oscar winning role in From Here To Eternity.

This film is as enthralling as it is well-made. Just once, I'd like to crank out a film play on this level; with a protagonist so complex and flawed that even a person who's never faced any kind of addiction sympathises with them. Good stuff.

I haven't watched the second disc yet, but plan on getting to it tonight after the Rose Bowl Game.
    sigpic

Re: The Man With the Golden Arm

Haven't seen it in years but it was pretty stark. Not your usual Sinatra musical

Comment

Roger Moore's worst.

Oh wait.
      "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
      -Maya Angelou

Comment

I liked Darren McGavin's portrayal of the pusher.

Comment

One of the great film scores, too.

This film was given the 50s version of the X or NC-17 rating, by the way. Adults only.

- Bill
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Yeah, I read on the back on the cover that it almost wasn't released.

Pretty interesting, considering it gained (3) Oscar nominations in '56: Best Actor, Art Direction, & Musical Score(done by yet another late legend, Elmer Bernstein).
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X