No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies You Had To Suspend Disbelief In Order To Enjoy The Experience

Examples:

King Kong - A) Humans running through the legs of stampeding bronto's and raptors without being squished. (thrill also seen in The Lord of the Rings). B) The love affair between Jack and Ann C) Carl Denham making it through the movie alive.

Any other recent movie examples that you had to SUSPEND DISBELIEF in order to be thoroughly entertained?

Re: Movies You Had To Suspend Disbelief In Order To Enjoy The Experience

All of them.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

Most movies require suspension of disbelief. Some require it more or more obviously than others. But any structured work of fiction is an imitation of reality, not the real thing. We simply choose to believe in it for the duration of the film or novel or whatever it may be.
      "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
      ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Authorized
        Examples:

King Kong - A) Humans running through the legs of stampeding bronto's and raptors without being squished. (thrill also seen in The Lord of the Rings). B) The love affair between Jack and Ann C) Carl Denham making it through the movie alive.

Any other recent movie examples that you had to SUSPEND DISBELIEF in order to be thoroughly entertained?
        I was more willing to accept Ann and Kong's love than I was for Ann and Jack's.
        Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
        Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

I just saw a movie today called Illusion. It should get a theatrical release sometime soon.

It's about the idea that all of the significant moments in your life are recorded and vaulted, like films. The story is about a film director played by Kirk Douglas who discovers the son he never met by watching these "films" of him. He watches these in a theater (he's old and ill, so it's shot more as a vision or hallucination).

It's a very sweet film. I liked it a lot. But I actually had to make myself accept that this idea of "film records" was real in order to appreciate what was happening. But I think this is sort of a compliment. I was so into the story that I was willing to accept that something that isn't real is indeed real in this world. I don't think that voluntarily choosing to believe someting is a bad thing. Because it doesn't have to be done as an excuse for what's on screen. It can be done in praise of what's on screen.

Ele...

Comment

I had to suspend my disbelief that they made Yours, Mine and Ours in order to not kill myself.

Or something like that.

Thank you.

("Don't suspend your disbelief next time, Billy"..very funny..haha)
            "Entertaining the world is a full time, up at dawn, never ending siege, the likes of which you will never fully understand."
            Billy Thrilly 2005

Comment

Sideways - I had to suspend belief that Maya would be interested in Miles. It's not totally unbelievable. Once in awhile you'll see a good-looking woman with a dorky looking guy. This is one of those times.

Comment

Had To Suspend Disbelief In Order To Enjoy The Experience

Luc Dionne's AURORE
                JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Pencey
                  Sideways - I had to suspend belief that Maya would be interested in Miles. It's not totally unbelievable. Once in awhile you'll see a good-looking woman with a dorky looking guy. This is one of those times.
                  But wasn't the point that a loser like Miles could find love based on what's inside? Didn't the film make a point of showing Maya was attracted to him for those other reasons?

Ele...

Comment

Originally posted by elephant1978
                    But wasn't the point that a loser like Miles could find love based on what's inside? Didn't the film make a point of showing Maya was attracted to him for those other reasons?

Ele...
                    Yes, it did. They both had a lot in common too.

OKay so maybe this was a bad example.

Comment

Yes. You should be ashamed of yourself, Pencey.

NOT the way you wanted to start off the new year.
                      "Entertaining the world is a full time, up at dawn, never ending siege, the likes of which you will never fully understand."
                      Billy Thrilly 2005

Comment

Other than straight dramas and a few smarter comedies, virtually every film requires a suspension of disbelief. Some more than others. Sci-fi, action, and fantasy probably require the most. Kong, as a sci-fi action/adventure film certainly required a lot. While they could have made it more believable, had they done so, it might have been less entertaining.

While many guys don't think Brody could catch a girl like Watts if he weren't an Oscar winning actor, I've heard more than one female refer to him as sexy. Given that he plays a screenwriter in Kong, I'd think you guys would be rallying around his character for landing Ann Darrow!
                        http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Lime
                          Other than straight dramas and a few smarter comedies, virtually every film requires a suspension of disbelief. Some more than others. Sci-fi, action, and fantasy probably require the most. Kong, as a sci-fi action/adventure film certainly required a lot. While they could have made it more believable, had they done so, it might have been less entertaining.

While many guys don't think Brody could catch a girl like Watts if he weren't an Oscar winning actor, I've heard more than one female refer to him as sexy. Given that he plays a screenwriter in Kong, I'd think you guys would be rallying around his character for landing Ann Darrow!
                          Precisely, Mr. Lime. Suspension of disbelief allows for CREATIVITY in scripts and eventually movies. If Hollywood (prodcos and studios) would allow MORE supension of disbelief (poetic license) in screenwriter's stories, greenlight them, then we would have BETTER stories, more ENTERTAINING movies and INCREASED boxoffice receipts.

Comment

I think Face/Off requires more suspension of disbelief than most flicks. The whole plot is completely absurd and over the top. I liked it when it first came out, but have trouble watching it now because it's a hell of lot harder to suspend my disbelief in the comfort of my own home when I can just stop the DVD or turn the channel.

Comment

I think Face/Off requires more suspension of disbelief than most flicks. The whole plot is completely absurd and over the top. I liked it when it first came out...
                              I HATED this movie. Cage AND Travolta in utterly unbelievable roles anyone?
                              Just one more reason to get hammered tonight.

Comment

Working...
                              X