Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone interested in seeing HOSTEL?

I watched this just last night. I thought it had a good, solid, tense, ooh-I wonder-when-ITS- coming intro and build up, maybe a little too long a build up come to think of it.

I'm not an avid horror gore fan but i do like to watch movies that I know will make me squirm and I 'dont really want to watch but I will watch it' type of thing to please my curiosity.

However with Hostel I was wanting more when the end credits came. Apart from a few slighly jaw clenching scenes the rest were scenes involving set ups for what will happen if we showed you kind of thing but we won't, we'll leave it to your imagination. This is fine if you're selling that kind of material I think but from what I understood from the trailers before realease this was going to be a full on explosive, near to fainting (or puking) experience. For me Hostel did not reach this level at all.

All in all, I was really let down by the complete film and the promises that it made. Apparently it was proclaimed by Mr Roth I think to be the sickest movie ever.

Mmmmmm, I think I need to give him a call.

Comment

Originally posted by BROUGHCUT
      A wannabe Tarantino with a Takashi Miike fixation.

It's funny in the credits it lists Takashi Miilke as playing Takashi Miike as if he normally goes to places like that to kill people.

He's the guy who says "be careful you'll spend all your money"

Comment

Originally posted by BROUGHCUT
        Where do I recognise the American "surgeon" from, the one with the gun dialogue when the kid is changing?
        CELLULAR. He was the @sshole lawyer whose car Chris Evans jacks....

Comment

Originally posted by sppeterson
          Stephen King's the one who handed them to him -- I suspect he disagrees with your assessment.
          Actually, the studio (Dimension, I believe?) who paid King millions of bucks for the rights to the book handed it to Roth. Unless ol' Stephen has a clause that states he has writer / director approval -- which I kinda doubt -- what's he gonna say? Roth's a horrible hack who's totally gonna destory my vision on screen?

King knows how to play the Hollywood game. Hell, he was fawning all over Goldman and Kasdan's adaptation of DREAMCATCHER, and we all know how well that turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by MacG
            Actually, the studio (Dimension, I believe?) who paid King millions of bucks for the rights to the book handed it to Roth. Unless ol' Stephen has a clause that states he has writer / director approval -- which I kinda doubt -- what's he gonna say? Roth's a horrible hack who's totally gonna destory my vision on screen?

King knows how to play the Hollywood game. Hell, he was fawning all over Goldman and Kasdan's adaptation of DREAMCATCHER, and we all know how well that turned out.
            You're right. I'm mistaken. I saw the one dollar option and didn't realize that was the standard way King worked.
            Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

Finally got around to see this film.

Okay, it took way too long to get where you expect it to get, but I thought it was quite a good horror flick.

I counted what must be three homages to Pulp Fiction. I wonder if those were QT's ideas or Eli's.

EJ

Comment

What's with these victims always loosing their digits? That's at least three horror movies in the last year where people get their fingers cut off.

"We're all immigrants now, man."
                - Zia (Patrick Fugit), "Wristcutters: A Love Story"

Comment

Originally posted by velysai
                  What's with these victims always loosing their digits? That's at least three horror movies in the last year where people get their fingers cut off.
                  I had an ingrown nail once...
                  I went to the podiatrist to have it removed. Took a shot on each side of the toe to freeze it and two guys to restrain me. I'm no chicken sh1t when it comes to pain.
                  Been shot, stabbed, slashed, burnt... If you knew how many scars, tattoos and piercings I have, a few of my friends would tell you that my tolerance for pain is quite high.
                  But that visit to the podiatrist was something else.
                  And that was for a fraking nail. I can't even imagine the pain in losing a piece of my body.
                  A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
                  Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
                  Money is better than compliments.

Comment

I've had a couple of internal pieces removed, but not while I was awake!

Comment

I would love to be asleep. Mind you, I did ask them if they could put me under and because of anesthesia being such a risk, they just told me that everything would be okay.
                      That was before the first long needle went close to my bone...
                      A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
                      Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
                      Money is better than compliments.

Comment

Originally posted by DMNY
                        I went to the podiatrist to have it removed. Took a shot on each side of the toe to freeze it and two guys to restrain me. I'm no chicken sh1t when it comes to pain.
                        Been shot, stabbed, slashed, burnt... If you knew how many scars, tattoos and piercings I have, a few of my friends would tell you that my tolerance for pain is quite high.
                        And that was for a fraking nail. I can't even imagine the pain in losing a piece of my body.
                        When I was in basic training for the Air Force I got an infected ingrown toenail that was putrid nasty and hella painful nearing the last week. I didn't want to go on med hole and stay in basic any longer than I had to, so I ran our last timed run and when I took my sock off it was soaked with pus and blood.

We got a weekend lib for a day to hit the base exchange, etc... so limped to the BX and got a nail file, a tupperware container, and a bottle of rubbing alcohol - did about a 70/30 mix of alcohol and HOT water, bit a pillow, and ripped the damn ingrown toenail out then stuck my foot in the mix. That was some painful ****. REALLY painful, but I got out on time.

Yeah, my toe is kinda fvcked up for life now... but I don't put much stock in the aesthetics of feet.
                        Last edited by ihavebiglips; 07-24-2006, 07:48 PM.

Comment

I've never had an ingrown toe nail (sounds gross AND painful), but I had my wisdom teeth yanked when the anethesia wouldn't take for one of them. Oral surgeon said he couldn't give me anymore local and that I'd have to come back to be put under. I said, hell no! Take it out anyway! I'm not coming back! So, he did.

Comment

Originally posted by velysai
                            I've never had an ingrown toe nail (sounds gross AND painful), but I had my wisdom teeth yanked when the anethesia wouldn't take for one of them. Oral surgeon said he couldn't give me anymore local and that I'd have to come back to be put under. I said, hell no! Take it out anyway! I'm not coming back! So, he did.
                            Nice. My kinda woman.

Comment

Just caught this last week after much hype.

What a piece if crap. Just terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by DMNY
                                I attempted to cut out an ingrown toenail (don't worry, it was mine), but it hurt like a building just fell on my foot.

Anyway, I never got around to seeing Hostel, but I probably will in about a week. Cabin Fever had an interesting concept and some really nice-looking shots, but was otherwise crappy.

Comment

Working...
                                X