Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hustle and Flow

I really enjoyed this film. Singleton did an outstanding job framing Brewer's script. (Staying true to Brewer's pages) EVERY scene made sense and pushed the story forward and developed character. A nice surprise when I went expecting over the top. Tight. No excess. Some great performances.
    Last edited by randesq; 01-12-2006, 05:16 PM.

Re: Hustle and Flow

Originally posted by randesq
    I really enjoyed this film. I wasn't taken out of the film but the transperancies that exist in the new hollywood. Singleton did an outstanding job with the script. EVERY scene made sense and pushed the story forward and developed character. A nice surprise.

Some great performances.
    Singleton didn't write or direct H&F, it was Craig Brewer...
    "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

i guess it was okay. couldve been better.
      "Making movies is a collaborative process...bend over."

Comment

Damn netflix. Took about 3 months for this to reach me after being at the top of my queue the entire time. I kept thinking about just buying the DVD, but held out ... wish I hadn't.

Thought it was a fantastic film. Great story. Great performances. Great music. Great set design. Loved it. Very nice writing and directing by Brewer, who managed to make you sympathize with these loathesome characters. So rich and vibrant. Terrence Howard was amazing.

Had I seen this before the Academy Awards, I wouldn't have begrudged 3-6 Mafia their Oscar. The song is so well integrated into the story, unlike most "best song" nominees, which are just interludes or closing credits ear candy.
        http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

that's what I was saying in the oscar bashing thread... The song worked in the context of the film.

Comment

I like rap music* as much as I like getting my teeth drilled, but I really enjoyed this movie a lot. Terrance Howard is fantastic.

*rap music is an oxy-moron.

Comment

I've always liked Terrence Howard since I first seen Dead Presidents. Love him in all of his work, even.. dare I say it, Get Rich or Die Trying.
              I highly recommend Hustle & Flow!

Comment

And for any who somehow fear it's just another shallow 'urban' rip-off that plays like a bad mtv gangsta-schlock music vid ... no. No it's not.

Terence Howard has the depth of all human existence in his eyes in this one. It's one deeply moving movie. I echo all the others: "see it see it see it"

DJ Quales has the strangest nose in Hollywood.
                sigpic
                "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
                that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
                -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

I looked forward to this movie because I like Terrence Howard and the because the concept was interesting. Good performance from Terrence Howard in a sentimental movie. It didn´t feel authentic.
                  - Tomas

Comment

lol, i still do not understand how this movie got THIS much publicity???

Comment

Yes indeed, great movie. I knew Terrence Howard would be nominated for an Oscar as well he should have been. He was AMAZING and he was surrounded by equally great actors. I thought Craig Brewer did a great job with it. I look forward to seeing what he does next...and it was made for 2.5 mil and made quite a bit considering what it was made for, maybe not a lot by some Hollywood standards, but considering most people probably didn't even expect it to make 10 mil. Not huge, but proved that small films can be successful.
                      "The two hardest words to write are FADE IN. The two most gratifying are FADE OUT."

Comment

whoa, i thought the budget as 7 million...where was it stated that the budget was 2.5??

Comment

Most places I looked had the budget at 2.8 million. Except IMDB, which had it at 8 million.

This isn't the Howard Johnson's.

Comment

This was in an article in Variety at the time Sundance was happening:

“Though several studios passed on "Hustle," Singleton and his producing partner Allain believe the pic has the potential to tap into a cultural zeitgeist that is driving the music business right now.

The duo pulled out their wallets to back the roughly $3 million pic for tyro helmer Craig Brewer.”

And another article that was from Hollywood Reporter:

Hayes gets in on Singleton's 'Hustle'
                            29 June 2004 (The Hollywood Reporter)
                            Stax recording artist Isaac Hayes has joined the cast of Hustle & Flow, John Singleton's first independently financed and produced feature. Based on a script by Southern filmmaker Craig Brewer, who also will direct, the $2.8 million film is set to start shooting early next month in Memphis. The story centers on DJay (Terrence Howard), a thirtysomething Southern hip-hop artist and hustler who enlists a cross section of the local community to help him realize his dreams of making a record. When he hears that a superstar rapper (Ludacris) is coming to town, he gets ready for the hustle of his life. Hayes plays the local club owner. Hayes joins a cast that includes Anthony Anderson, Taryn Manning, DJ Qualls, Taraji Henson, Paula Parker, Elise Neal and rapper Ludacris as Skinny Black.

I bow to you whitenavel, you're right, I was off by a couple hundred thousand!!! I knew it was a really small budget. I don't know why IMDB has it as $8 mil, Paramount purchased it for $9 mil, maybe that's the confusion IMDB is listing.
                            "The two hardest words to write are FADE IN. The two most gratifying are FADE OUT."

Comment

the movie might have done better if we could understand what he was saying.

vig

Comment

Working...
                              X