Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Fincher Helming "Torso"

David Fincher, director of such films as "Se7en", "Fight Club" and "Panic Room", will be helming the graphic novel adaptation "Torso" for Paramount. The project will be adapted for the screen by Ehren Kruger who penned such films as "Arlington Road", "The Ring" (and it's sequel) and "The Skeleton Key". The story will center on real-life federal agent Eliot Ness (made famous by "The Untouchables") who after closing the Al Capone case in Chicago relocates to Cleveland. There he makes a promise to help better the town until the city becomes terrorized by a series of gruesome killings known as the "torso" murders. David Fincher is currently finishing work on the Paramount and Warner Bros. thriller "Zodiac". For the article, hit the link below.

LINK: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=12668
    Last edited by j over; 01-12-2006, 06:45 PM.

Re: David Fincher Helming "Torso"

Why is this starting with a graphic novel when it's a true story? Also, Max Allan Collins (ROAD TO PERDITION) did a swell "novelization" of the story about 20 years ago called BUTCHER'S DOZEN (based on Ness notebooks, I think.)

- Bill
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

The graphic novel has some of the best hardboiled dialogue in fiction in the last 20 years.
      Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

Haven't read the GN, but Max Allan Collins has been nominated for Best Private Eye Novel 8 times in the past 15 years and won *twice*. His hardboiled dialogue ain't too shabby.

Still, when you're dealing with a true story, why get 2nd hand facts? Since Kruger's gonna do a SKELETON KEY job on it anyway, the dialogue from the source won't matter much. The facts probably won't either, but it's always nice to know what they are before you toss them out.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:

Comment

The graphic novel is extremely cinematic. It's framed like a movie, so it's a pretty good blue-print for a film. I highly reccomend it.
          Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

Bill: as long as the film doesn't proclaim itself as factual, the facts don't matter for diddly, do they?
            Just one more reason to get hammered tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Salazkin
              Bill: as long as the film doesn't proclaim itself as factual, the facts don't matter for diddly, do they?
              What if it does, like Fargo?

Funny thing is, I was watching Fargo with some friends the other night and after seeing the "This is a true story..." message, someone said that it would be funny if the first thing we saw was a talking tree or something ridiculous like that.

Comment

The GN is well worth the monies. Most of Bendis's works pre Marvel/Powers are good reads too, like Goldfish and Jinx.

It's been a long time waiting for some of Bendis's properties to roll through Dev Hell. I'm glad Fincher is on board.
                R.K. Bentley
                My Blog, My Design Studio
                "Little hand says it's time to rock an' roll." - Hot Fuzz.

Comment

Unlike FARGO, this really did happen (and is probably the most famous Elliot Ness case - just didn't have the happy ending like the Capone case). Why not use the facts?

I always wondered why DePalma and Costner didn't do this as an UNTOUCHABLES sequel - it's right up DePalma's alley (he's doing another true story about a big unsolved crime, BLACK DAHLIA).

When I did my only true story project, I started with newspaper stories and then went to survivors of the incident to get first hand information. I didn't even want the newspaper slant if there was a more truthful version. Once I had the facts, I could make creative decisions to dramatize scenes based on facs, rather than one or two or three diluted sources downstream. I figured I would stay closer to what may have happened, rather than fabricate drama based on someone else's fabrication.

- Bill
                  Free Script Tips:

Comment

I can't argue with that, Bill. Always best to get as close to the source material as possible. It's a judgment call as to whether the added effort (which can be substantial) yields commensurate payoff, especially when you know you're going to take license with the truth anyway. But I give kudos to those who doggedly pursue the ultimate truth.
                    Just one more reason to get hammered tonight.

Comment

Working...
                    X