Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is fight club about anarchy or fascism?

your thoughts first....

Re: is fight club about anarchy or fascism?

You coulda put this in the Fight Club thread.

We have so much work to do with you...I have stuff to do this afternoon, but I'm afraid to leave you alone.
    "Entertaining the world is a full time, up at dawn, never ending siege, the likes of which you will never fully understand."
    Billy Thrilly 2005

Comment

i could've but your thread said fight club's underrated. This is a different topic, yahoodi. dont be selfish.

Comment

Okay...but just so you know, proper ettiquette would have been to post this question within the thread already there.

This is posting 101.

But I hope this thread becomes all it can be.

I'll even respond.

Neither. It's about a crazy guy who starts a club so guys can fight.
        "Entertaining the world is a full time, up at dawn, never ending siege, the likes of which you will never fully understand."
        Billy Thrilly 2005

Comment

It's about anarchy only because the system had no place for individuals. Tyler wanted to destroy it, well for many reasons, but because society had gotten away from what it meant to be alive. We are not the contents of our refridgerators, we are not our jobs, and we are not our goddamn kahki's!

Comment

okay, but then every1 essentially worshipped Tyler. It seemed to be entirely based on him, esp in the end.

Maybe that's just what happens w/ anarchy though.

Comment

Yeah, I think it's secretly a pretty conservative film. It seems to advance the idea of anarchy and attacking the system...but it also says "look what kind of crazy person does that" and "look what bad things happen when he does that." Ultimately, the movie seems to be saying "Look, nonconformity is great. Having real self-worth that's not based on material things is great. But don't take it so far that it becomes destructive."

I don't know. It's a complex story with complex themes. But lots of horror stories have that same sort of strange dichotomy. On the surface, they might seem to be really wild and out there, but underneath, what they often say is "This is what happens to people who break the rules/mess with things they shouldn't mess with/try to play God/etc." (Most of the classic slasher flicks seem to be about punishing young adults for having sex or young women for being independent.)

Comment

is fight club about anarchy or fascism?

Neither, it's about nihilism and sociopathy.

Comment

well nihilists can certainly be anarchists. or fascists (just ask Stalin).

Comment

Originally posted by Qazworld
                    okay, but then every1 essentially worshipped Tyler. It seemed to be entirely based on him, esp in the end.
                    No,that's the need for a father figure. Jack (the narrator) didn't have one. He was desperatly searching for one, and when he couldn't find one in his own father or his boss, he made one with Tyler.

The other men where the same, they were looking for what it meant to be a man- to be alive. And Tyler gave that to them.

What would you do for the person who gave you a sense of worth? a sense of your own personal value? of what you were supposed to do and how to do it?

And, yeah, the movie/story is based on Tyler. But Tyler was Jack. Just the way Jack wanted to act,the way Jack wanted to dress, and the way Jack wanted to fvck.

Comment

If we're talking about the original book...

It's about both nihilism, a reaction to people being blindly finding meaning through commericalism/consumerism, and about the degrading state of masculinity ("feminized masculinity). The narrator, "Joe," pretty much espouses this throughout the novel. Tyler is created after Joe meets whatever the hell the chick's name is and subconsciously falls in love with her even though he outwardly hates her. It's sort of the last straw in his level of frustration, both conscious and unconscious. And, it's a perfect reflection of the paradoxical crap he experiences with his job.

As whistle said, the guys find meaning in Tyler who actually becomes a symbol for the same type of superficial meaning Joe hates in the first place.

It's more of an existential novel and not really about fascism or anarchy at all.

If we're talking about the movie...

It's pretty close to the same thing, only he's called "Jack" in the movie. And, again, it has little to do with fascism or anarchy.
                      "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

Another of the main themes is an individual that has become disconnected with society finding a way to reconnect.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus
                          If we're talking about the original book...

It's about both nihilism, a reaction to people being blindly finding meaning through commericalism/consumerism, and about the degrading state of masculinity ("feminized masculinity). The narrator, "Joe," pretty much espouses this throughout the novel. Tyler is created after Joe meets whatever the hell the chick's name is and subconsciously falls in love with her even though he outwardly hates her. It's sort of the last straw in his level of frustration, both conscious and unconscious. And, it's a perfect reflection of the paradoxical crap he experiences with his job.

As whistle said, the guys find meaning in Tyler who actually becomes a symbol for the same type of superficial meaning Joe hates in the first place.

It's more of an existential novel and not really about fascism or anarchy at all.

If we're talking about the movie...

It's pretty close to the same thing, only he's called "Jack" in the movie. And, again, it has little to do with fascism or anarchy.
                          You really are a smart guy. I've never said it that blatantly. I hope you come to Boulder although I have to remain anonymous. It'll be nice to know you live in the city though.

Strike all that, you hump.

Billy Thrilly 2005

Comment

Wow, you really did go out and have a bunch of beers, didn't you?

Comment

in terms of the way the group spread, in its opposition towards capitalism, and the way the fights were fought, the film had a very anarchist feel to it. It was about unbridled individualism and expression - all critical themes in anarchy.

However, the way in which the members gravitate towards Tyler, and his utter control over the group, made me bring up the question.

You're def. right w/ your analysis, Opti. I think that it can be all of those things, and about anarchy, as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X