Unforgiven - Masterpiece or Just A Good Western?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unforgiven - Masterpiece or Just A Good Western?

well yes, after Ned is killed- his rampage is in response to his friends death. But, prior to that, despite all his talking- William is just doing it for the money.

He doesn't leave his farm because it's the right thing to do. He leaves it because he needs the money more.

And during his journey, William realizes that he's not a farmer but a killer. Always had been, and always will be a killer.

And that's okay with him.

Comment

I never bought into Ladd as a leading man, and especially not as a macho gunslinger. In fact, I find the idea faintly ridiculous, much as he did himself.
      ENNIS spits in the palm of his hand, puts it on himself.

Comment

I agree with that actually. Robert Mitchum would have been the ultimate Shane. Ladd was a B movie tough guy and always looked short. First time I saw Shane I thought he was miscast and hated the fringed buckskins. But it's his best performance, and believable when he draws his six shooter. He's grown on me over the years. But Mitchum would have been far more ideal.

Comment

"deconstructing the mythos" huh?

My favorite western of this bombastic category is FROM NOON TILL THREE.
          Clever. Droll. Entertaining, too.
          " Life is high school with money. " Frank Zappa

Comment

bronson's best movie

Comment

Working...
            X