Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Hour Movies Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Love The Alamo

I detested beyond detestation the Billy Bob Alamo movie last summer. Mostly because it was 2 1/2 hours of NON battle, and 18 minutes of battle. I wanted more war in my war movie. Call me crazy.

But I figured it out. I've now watched the Alamo 4 times in Encore this month -- by starting just as the battle starts. Basically, if you start watching this movie AFTER Davy Crockett plays fiddle with the Mexican army's trumpeters, this movie rocks. One big ass battle scene. Davy Crockett realizing that he's Davy Crockett and making his last words worthy of his legend, and then Sam Houston's aspirations not to be Wellington, but to force Santa Ana into his own Waterloo, and the final battle at San Jacinto.

Now THAT'S a compelling 1 hour.

BTW: As movies, one of the biggest problems with both The Alamo, and Pearl Harbor, is that these events defy traditional movie formulas. The original Alamo movie, with John Wayne got it right: end the movie after they all die. It was a noble stand, but a noble stand that failed. In the same vein, Pearl Harbor could have ended with the Americans all busted up, and pissed off... and... boy is Japan FUBAR now. Neither of them needed their 3rd act retribution battles, since both were anticlimatic.

Of course, San Jacinto was an enormous battle in terms of the scope of its consequences, so that made a little more sense. But the daylight raids of Tokyo? Boring.

Re: One Hour Movies Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Love The Alamo

John Wayne's version has not alot to do with historical accuracy, but it was a damn effective piece of film-making. Epic scope, GREAT score, perfect climax. Frankie Avalon. One of my favorite epics of all-time. I skipped the Billy Bob version. Might see it some day

modern Hollywood just can't believe people want to see a movie where the Yanks lose at the end. Have to tack on the feel good "but look we kicked ass in the long run" ending. Only boski needs those kind of endings

Comment

This is probably heresy for a Texan, but I haven't seen the new one.

Since they showed San Jacinto, did they include the Yellow Rose?
      my webpage
      my blog

Comment

A) Pen's right. John Wayne's is the best. If you have to pick one, pick his.

B) No, Pooks. No Yellow Rose. It's a very abbreviated sequence, and as I mentioned, basically focuses on Houston.

Comment

You know, one reason why you don't need the aftermath of Pearl Harbor and the Alamo is that everybody knows what happened. Texas won, the Americans kicked ass, so what's the surprise? If there's really a surprise, then the movie should have been about the aftermath to begin with.
          my webpage
          my blog

Comment

Working...
          X