Rocky - MASTERPIECE or just a Masterpiece?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky - MASTERPIECE or just a Masterpiece?

I see it every four of five years and it still gives me shivers. The only movie in history that makes you feel the character and cheer out loud for him. And it's timeless. Truly great script, a simple story but a masterful lesson in character and structure. Where in the hell did Stallone ever pull this from considering the utter crap he's been responsible for since? The first shot in the film maybe gives us a clue - one of those stories that just came from God somehow. Perfectly cast, paced, and directed. One of the truly great films. A tonic for the soul.

And yes, as much as I respect and admire the other top films of 1976, this one far and away deserved the Oscar.

Re: Rocky - MASTERPIECE or just a Masterpiece?

Great musical theme, too.
    " Life is high school with money. " Frank Zappa

Comment

One of the greatest series ever. If I had to rate them, I'd go Rocky III, Rocky IV, Rocky, Rocky V and Rocky II. But all of them are great.

Comment

You must have caught on TCM last night, PD.

It's a Masterpiece. Very important film.
        sigpic

Comment

I would say the first Rocky had heart and soul, whereas Rocky III (Rocky vs Clubber Lang) and Rocky IV (Rocky vs Ivan Drago) was more like a David vs Goliath comic book where Rocky's fighting style completely changed to him throwing superhuman combinations that you would never see in a real boxing match.

Comment

A masterpiece EXCEPT for the actual fight scenes. The characters, story, and music were all memorable, but the fight scenes(punches thrown and landed) were ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Pen Dragon
              ...Truly great script, a simple story but a masterful lesson in character and structure. Where in the hell did Stallone ever pull this from considering the utter crap he's been responsible for since?

Stallone didn't write this, William Goldman did. Just like he wrote Good Will Hunting for Matt and Ben.

Comment

Originally posted by dclary
                One of the greatest series ever. If I had to rate them, I'd go Rocky III, Rocky IV, Rocky, Rocky V and Rocky II. But all of them are great.
                clary. I can't tell if you glamorize films from your childhood or simply can't connect with drama that elicits a human response.
                http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Probably both, Hairy.

All I know, is when I first saw Rocky III... I was mesmerized, terrified, and running from my bedroom (where I saw it) into the family room (where my folks were watching like... Highway to Heaven or something) and screaming what happened...

"HULK HOGAN JUST BODY SLAMMED ROCKY AND THREW HIM OUT OF THE RING!!!"

"MR T. JUST KILLED MICKEY!!!"

That was a heart-wrenching movie with THREE fantastic fights (and a montage of several others), where most boxing movies give you maybe 1 1/2, or 2 and a montage.

I don't know what drama is, if it isn't Apollo Creed talking about the Eye of the Tiger, and Adrian getting tough with Rocky on the beach.

"How'd you get so tough?"
                  "I live with a fighter."

Rocky is good. Great even. I just think the case can be easily made that Rocky III is better.

Comment

Ya know what? I'm going to agree Dclary. I enjoy III a tad better than 1. Here you get to see Rocky at his peak then whittled to nothing. He has to learn to shed his civilized accoutaments (sp?) and become that barbarian again. And you can see the fear on his face. Plus, you have Mr. T who is way cooler than Apollo. No offense to Apollo.

Comment

Originally posted by Pen Dragon
                      The only movie in history that makes you feel the character and cheer out loud for him. And it's timeless. Truly great script, a simple story but a masterful lesson in character and structure. Where in the hell did Stallone ever pull this from considering the utter crap he's been responsible for since? The first shot in the film maybe gives us a clue - one of those stories that just came from God somehow. Perfectly cast, paced, and directed. One of the truly great films. A tonic for the soul.
                      perfectly said pd
                      one of the best that speaks to the soul
                      If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed. -- Stanley Kubrick

Comment

It's a classic. Rocky stayed my official favorite film of all time for 20 years. It wasn't until Braveheart came out, that Rocky was unseated.

And so is Rocky II. I REALLY love Rocky II soo soo much.

******* spoiler *************

When Adrian and Paulie jump off the couch when the ref counts Apollo out and the music hits....it's just one of the best moments in my movie watching life. Also when Adrian says "Win....Win"

Mickey: What are we waiting for?!

And the music comes in......uhhhhhhh...forget about it!! I still get the chills!

Rocky III is a classic but in more of a pop culture 80's way. Mr.T, Hulk Hogan...the whole deal.

Rocky IV I didn't love when I first saw it in the theater. I liked it, but it didn't compare to the earlier ones, but also, over time has become a classic.

Rocky V - Eh.

Can't wait for the next one.
                        "Entertaining the world is a full time, up at dawn, never ending siege, the likes of which you will never fully understand."
                        Billy Thrilly 2005

Comment

You could throw the negatives of the other Rocky films overboard wrapped around a slab of concrete and I wouldn't care. Stallone has made it eternally into my doghouse for selling out Rocky. But Rocky still gets him a seat in the screenwriter pantheon

Dunno how I lived without TCM, Adam

Comment

I don't get TCM, I don't think. What channel is it on?

Comment

http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Working...
                              X