Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conan the Destroyer

A UK newspaper gave away DVD copies of Arnie's epic sword-and-sorcery sequel last weekend. (This coming weekend the freebie DVD is Highlander.)

So I watched CtD just for fun yesterday. And was appalled not only by the flaky dialogue and some of the acting (I don't mean Arnie), but by the poor setup and execution of nearly every sequence.

Usually nostalgia helps get me through films that aren't really all that good, but in this case my nostalgia (I remembered CtD as an entertaining romp!) dissipated pretty quickly and left me feeling more than a tad disappointed.

Nice camerawork. The rest sucked real bad.

-Derek
    My web page - Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror - published fiction and WIPs.
    Take the critiques you get with a grain of salt. Invariably, some of the critics will be kooks, bitter curmudgeons, or complete fools. ~odocoileus

Nobody knows nothing, and I'm nobody.

Re: Conan the Destroyer

Love it when Conan makes short work of the baddies at the start. Loved the sword fight in front of that big Mexican boulder. Loved the imagery when Conan leaps at the Horn Monster in the strobing storm light at the end. Loved Arnie's toothpick line.

Everything else about it was pure crap. At least Richard Fleischer brought some old fashioned excitement to the sword fights.

Hey, it wasn't as bad as The Beastmaster at least

Comment

Beastmaster is classic.
      "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

not even a second longer than i figured you'd say that

Comment

The outfit they put the princess in when she's to be sacrificed is to die for. Almost as f*cking hot as the one the girl in Legend gets put in.

Comment

I guess we forgot to add CtD to clary's top 250.

Comment

Conan follows the Highlander model of movie making: There can be only one. The rest get ignored.

Comment

Is this the one with James Earl Jones, or was that Barbarian? I always get them confused.
                Passion Fuels Passion

Comment

"Destroyer" is the one with evil leatherette queen Sarah Douglas, jail bait princess Olivia D'Abo, Crom-only-knows-what Grace Jones, and a statue that's brought to life by a magic horn.

-Derek
                  Take the critiques you get with a grain of salt. Invariably, some of the critics will be kooks, bitter curmudgeons, or complete fools. ~odocoileus

Comment

Never liked Conan the Destroyer, other than the fight sequences that Pen mentioned. It's as if they tried too hard to emulate the graphic novels, but lost soemthing in the translation.

The first one captured the tone very well and the is whole flesh is stronger than steel theme was excellent.
                    Half a bubble off level... systems normal.

Comment

And Mako as Akiro the Wizard. I note on imdb he's still working, at 73 years of age. Good on him!

Comment

At least The Beastmaster had Tanya Robert's boobs.
                        Last edited by Cycstorm; 02-02-2006, 11:23 AM.
                        Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Conan the Destroyer is just a terrible movie, and it really comes down to having Arnie (no thespian himself) surrounded by the two worst actors to ever hit the big screen: Grace Jones and Wilt Chamberlain.

What were they thinking?

Comment

vmf, I can't quite agree, Wilt projected an impressive presence, problem was that his character was deliberately kept 2D (so as not to overshadow Armie, maybe?) and his lines were throwaways, the writers could have made Bombaata a mute and nothing would have changed. You can't expect someone to shine under these circumstances.

-Derek

Comment

Not my favorite, but I own it. It came with Conan the Barbarian in a 'Complete Quest' DVD set.

Tracey Walter looks just like this bum that walks the streets in Atlanta named: Acid Andy.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X