No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spike Lee Attacks Hollywood

I know this thread is going to cause a stir, but Spike is on-point:

Outspoken movie-maker SPIKE LEE has attacked the Hollywood studios for not including African-Americans as executives.

The MALCOLM X director is appalled the major studios only recruit white men and women for executive positions.

He tells US style magazine Complex, "You go to any studio, the (only) black guy you are going to see is the guy at the gate. In Hollywood, there is not one African-American who is an executive that has gatekeeper position that could greenlight a picture.

"They'll make a movie with DENZEL (WASHINGTON) and JAMIE (FOXX)and EDDIE (MURPHY), but only because they can make money off them. "They (studios) might think there's diversity because four white women run studios."

Re: Spike Lee Attacks Hollywood

http://www.liu.edu/cwis/CWP/library/...s.htm#changing

the last word in the link being the operative word, "changing".

Hollywood does make a LOT of money off African American Actors. However, Spike Lee seems to be playing the race card here.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Samuel L. Jackson the 'highest paid' actor in the Industry?

Look beyond what Mr. Lee says. Look at the number of African Americans making significant contributions to Film; many of whom own their own Production Companies. So while there may not be an African American at the helm of a major HOLLYWOOD studio, it seems the community isn't suffering because of the 'proposed' deficit.

"I LOVE THE BLACK MAN!" Tom Cruise in Jerry Maguire
    si

Comment

Spike Lee is a creep.

Comment

there should be no affirmative action in the creative field mr. spike. this guy is a century away from malcolm x meets hitler.

vig

Comment

They'll make a movie with DENZEL (WASHINGTON) and JAMIE (FOXX)and EDDIE (MURPHY), but only because they can make money off them.

Wait a minute. Studios make movies with actors only because they think they can make money from them?

WOW!!!!

That totally rocked my world.

I can see ti all so clearly now.

How dare those racist sons-of-bitches dare make a profit from a black actor.

Form now on, Studios should only cast black actors if they are certain they will not make a profit from the film. That will really open doors for black actors in HW.

Spike is proof that stupidity comes in all colors.

Fortune favors the bold - Virgil

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Rasta
            He tells US style magazine Complex, "You go to any studio, the (only) black guy you are going to see is the guy at the gate.
            Hyperbole aside, that seems a little demeaning, even from Spike Lee. I read a Hollywood Reporter piece recently showing how many 'black' people are in positions of real power. Lee does them a huge disservice. But hey, aggitation at least causes discourse. Much like suicide bombing.
            http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

Morgan Freeman said it best this past week, "The way to beat racism in this country is to quit talking about it."

By Spike Lee saying this, it only allows racism to rear its ugly head back up.

Leave it out, in my opinion.

If he wants a job at Warner Bros., Universal, MGM, or Paramount-he's got pull-just ask them for one.
              sigpic

Comment

spike lee is a racist.

vig

Comment

Look, I've lived in Hollywood for 5 years. I've met a lot of people, both working and not, who are trying to make a living in showbiz. But honestly, maybe 10% of them have been black. And when I say I meet people, I'm not talking about executives, I'm talking about lower-level/entry-level. Hell, I'm talking about PA's. People trying to get involved in this biz so they can work toward a higher position.

So my point is, maybe there there aren't so many black executives because there aren't so many black people interested in this business. I mean, that could just be the reality of the situation. It's like questioning why there are so many Jews in Hollywood. If there were as many black people trying to get into the business as Jews, I'm sure they'd be better represented.

*None of the above statements carry any racial prejudice*

Ele...

Comment

Originally posted by vig
                    spike lee is a racist.

vig
                    No, I think he's just an angry fella. People are angry for various reasons.

Comment

anger is the lava the racist draws from.

vig

Comment

Originally posted by English Dave
                        No, I think he's just an angry fella. People are angry for various reasons.
                        He's angry because everyone's realized he wasn't as talanted as everyone thought him to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Pencey
                          He's angry because everyone's realized he wasn't as talanted as everyone thought him to be.
                          Well that may be it. A bit 'one note' perhaps? Much like the original poster.

Comment

Who's Spike Lee?
                            ENNIS spits in the palm of his hand, puts it on himself.

Comment

spike lee is essentially a cariacture of how he broke in.

hanging from the shoes of micheal jordan - micheal jordan represents the teet of the urban culture.

vig

Comment

Working...
                              X