Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spike Lee Attacks Hollywood

If I say Jack Sparrow should've been black, how many of you will get pissed?
    Smile Is Best Makeup!

-A Grammatically Incorrect Japanese Proverb

Comment

I wouldn't have been upset, except Depp was so totally perfect as Jack. I can't imagine another white guy (Depp's white, I'm supposing) playing it ... What black actor would DD have cast as Jack Sparrow?
      sigpic
      "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
      that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
      -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Their movies (as a majority) still couldn't be exclusively about Black Culture or the Black Experience ... because great movies with "universal" audience appeal cannot always be about "black" ... (Though undoubtedly there could be more of those, indeed) ...
        I've seen thousands of movies in my life and most of them were exclusively about white culture. I'll guarantee you no one worried whether they were universal enough. They were just made.

Tabula, you have made some valid points. But the gist of all that you said is that there are always going to be detractors, so you can't please all of the people all of the time.

That doesn't seem like a valid reason to not try a new way of doing something.

I don't know Tabula's race, but there is such a thing as white people with a black look. Brad Pitt and Catherine Zeta Jones come to my mind. I can see how Mel fell into that category in his younger days!

Also, Stephen. There is NO ONE who could be Jack Sparrow except Johnny Depp. Absolutely no one.

And would people please stop saying Tiger Woods is black? Thank you.

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by yvonnjanae
          Also, Stephen. There is NO ONE who could be Jack Sparrow except Johnny Depp. Absolutely no one.

And would people please stop saying Tiger Woods is black? Thank you.
          I disagree with both these comments. Sparrow could of easily be played by Samuel L Jackson

And Tiger Woods is Black, like in the Cuba Gooding jr. way.
          Smile Is Best Makeup!

-A Grammatically Incorrect Japanese Proverb

Comment

Brad Pitt has a "black look"?? In which films, exactly?
            Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Brad Pitt has a "black look"?? In which films, exactly?
              The answer falls into the category of "It's a Black Thang." We just know. We can look at a person and tell that somewhere in their ancestry, someone was passing for white. We all have relatives in our backgrounds who "passed" and married into the white world. It's one of America's biggest secrets.

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb

Comment

Tabula, you have made some valid points. But the gist of all that you said is that there are always going to be detractors, so you can't please all of the people all of the time.

That doesn't seem like a valid reason to not try a new way of doing something.
                Agreed, and agreed.

But all those "white" folks who decide who gets to run a studio? If they knew a "black" person would make movies that bring in green $$$ ... that person would be running the studio, right?

When someone says "s/he'd be best for the job, but no way, because s/he's black" ... that's RACISM.

Everything else is ... just them not knowing who could do the job, or the sad Hollywood fact that the most creative or talented folks don't get the chances they deserve, or something short of Racism.

Racism is such an ugly accusation, it should be weighed very carefully before being used.

In my eyes, CALLING someone else a 'racist' FALSELY should bear the same negative repercussions as BEING a racist.

Is Spike ready to live up to THOSE standards?

Or does he get a free pass to accuse people of an ugly thing like being a racist?

Why forgive Spike for ugly accusations and not forgive ... that other guy?

But, for the record, I'll work for a man or woman of any race who finances my movies! My lead character is a Serb. They wanna have her played by a black actress ... sister, let's talk!
                sigpic
                "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
                -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

We all have relatives in our backgrounds who "passed" and married into the white world. It's one of America's biggest secrets.
                  We all started out in Mother Africa, some of us just wandered away and got lost.
                  sigpic
                  -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

We just know. We can look at a person and tell that somewhere in their ancestry, someone was passing for white.
                    Blackdar!

Comment

• Re: Spike Lee Attacks Hollywood

I have Hispanic friends who can look at a person and tell if they're from Mexico, Guatemala, Chile, etc. I imagine people of European ancestry have a similar radar.

Tabula -- I agree that falsely accusing someone is a bad thing. But if it's Spike's opinion, he must have some reason for saying it. I don't agree that it's just as bad as being a racist. Spike's comments don't really hurt any individual, nor do they affect anyone's pursuit of a job or other achievements.

By the way, "Do The Right Thing" -- only one of the greatest movies ever made! And "School Daze" one of my biggest guilty pleasures.

Comment

• Re: Spike Lee Attacks Hollywood

I've seen thousands of movies in my life and most of them were exclusively about white culture.
                        Would you mind expanding on this? The differences and similarities?

It probably sounds like a silly question, but I've lived my whole life in communities that are mostly white, so I don't have a real understanding of racial culture as a group concept in America and how it's relayed through film. It's an ignorance born of lack of exposure, not malice. I know that racism exists, but I don't exactly understand it. Some references go completely over my head, like the fried chicken reference. I like fried chicken, and I also like sushi, but I'm not black or Japanese, and I don't get what people are talking about. I've tried to figure it out, like maybe fried chicken isn't good for you because there's lots of grease, and they're being mean by saying black people would be expected to not eat healthy? Or his hands would get slippery and he couldn't hold a golf club? I know it's supposed to be a mean comment, but I don't know why.

It's kind of embarrassing to admit all this, as I feel like I can't relate to what's going on, but it's uncomfortable to bring up to people face-to-face to have friends explain it. So, since you're talking, I'll take the opportunity to seek an education.

I guess I've always viewed films as being more about people and their situations. Things like heritage and religion are aspects that make people interesting, but they're accessories to basic human nature. It's hard for me to see the lack of connection between what I think is a generic film and what it seems you see as a white culture film. It doesn't seem like you're talking just about film with an only-white cast. I want to understand this.

Maybe you can recommend some films that you see specifically as black culture films and say why and also point out some exclusively white culture films and explain why they don't apply to black culture, to help jme to understand?

Sorry if this post is boring to people who "get it." I'm really not ignorant in all areas, but this is a big one.

Comment

Working...
                        X