No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lucky Number Slevin....Morgan Freeman...Josh Hartman...others

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker
    And Joe, it's pretty much like that as a feature lenght. lol.

EJ

Comment

The dialogue seemd witty at first, then quickly became overused, and that's in the whole 4 minutes of the trailer.

eg:

"Who's you boss?"
      "The guy we work for."

"You look like you live here".
      "You don't know what guy that lives here looks like".
      "What he's trying to say is, you look like you live here".

"You have the wrong guy."
      "So you know what i want to see you about?"
      "No."
      "So how do you know i've got the wrong guy?"

"Why do they call him the rabbi?"
      "Because he's a rabbi."

It does smell of Guy Ritchie. Only less smarter and more obvious. The question replied by a smart ass answer seemes overplayed in this one. Overplayed, in general with so many QT wannabe's these days. And QT is ain't even original.

Comment

I liked this movie. The house was almost filled -- seemed like there was a good reaction. It's a pretty fun thriller. I wouldn't compare it to QT as much as I would to British Gangster films. I think it had more in common with Sexy Beast than Guy Richie's films -- which is a good thing. Hartnett is surprisingly charming. Morgan Freeman and Ben Kingsley are a ton of fun. It's an all around great cast. You can see most of the big twists coming, which is unfortunate. Surprisingly, it's the smaller, more insignificant twists that catch you off guard. The only real problem I had with the film is that it's very humorous until the third act, then it just goes black. I would've liked more balance. But Paul McGuigan deserves some credit for his inventive shots and the few risks he took to make this a bit different from the other gangster films. Whether he failed or succeeded in the larger scope, the film still offers much to chew on and is a pretty enjoyable time.

Ele...

Comment

Originally posted by mad_r0
          The dialogue seemd witty at first, then quickly became overused, and that's in the whole 4 minutes of the trailer.

eg:

"Who's you boss?"
          "The guy we work for."

"You look like you live here".
          "You don't know what guy that lives here looks like".
          "What he's trying to say is, you look like you live here".

"You have the wrong guy."
          "So you know what i want to see you about?"
          "No."
          "So how do you know i've got the wrong guy?"

"Why do they call him the rabbi?"
          "Because he's a rabbi."

It does smell of Guy Ritchie. Only less smarter and more obvious. The question replied by a smart ass answer seemes overplayed in this one. Overplayed, in general with so many QT wannabe's these days. And QT is ain't even original.
          I agree. Slovik...or however you pronounce his name...is a QT wannabe hack! And Hollywood is going gah...gah over him. Go figure. Every new writer discovery recently states that "Usual Suspects" is their favorite movie and it shows in their hidden plot tricks and writing style.

So, where are the unique voices already?
          Last edited by Authorized; 04-09-2006, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Saw this last night. I'm undecided. I think I liked it. But I also think at points the movie was too slick for it's own good? You know? It was mildly funny. Had it's moments when I laughed out loud. It was highly predictable, though. Which is why I think I didn't like it as much as I'd hope.

The opening was a bit slow, and that worried me a bit. And like I said, a lot of slick v.o (mainly in the beginning) and dialogue where I was just like, come on, stop trying to be cool. But then it got into a groove where I started to sorta enjoy it.

Not a must see, but not one where you walk out and feel like you wasted your time and money.

Comment

It's a fun film. The script is too slick at times, but it's entertaining. Most of it is predictable, but not all of it.

I loved the scene with Freeman and Kingsley in the chairs. Two prime actors chewing scenery, having fun and charming the audience.

And Lucy looks so cute!

This isn't the Howard Johnson's.

Comment

I wasn't really impressed with this film, probably because the trailers seemed to make more of it than is there.

The problem it seems is that loads of these 'gangster' movies try to be real smart but the climax just isn't there anymore, the characters are still rather cliched and tame and there isn't any meaning to it all (all my opinon of course).

I kinda figured out the ending right from the start and although you still tend to forget about it and try to enjoy the film, when it does happen you seem underwhelmed because you expected it all along.

Top marks for making it seem like it has more substance than it really does...
                www.filmfiler.com -- everbody has a story to tell, what's yours?

Comment

Yeah I was really thinking this one was going to be a lot better. I still liked it alright, but it certainly wasn't the chic flick I thought it was going to be.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah, the same here. I expected it to be a touch better. Primarily, everyone's dialogue was slick, and that started to wear. And then it was too clean. A film like that needs to look dirtier.

But then maybe that was part of the art direction- making you look at the odd backrounds while missing the action up front.

You know, Kansas City'ing us.
                    Last edited by whistlelock; 09-19-2006, 10:02 PM. Reason: added words that were supposed to be there already.

Comment

I watched this last night. My boss insisted, raved about it.

I expected to not like it, but I have to admit, I underestimated it.

I HATED it. Derivative in the worst way. "Punchy" dialogue was weak. Plot was contrived, ending forced. Acting... BAD.

Thank god I put my two weeks notice in last Tuesday. I need a new boss.

Comment

Working...
                      X