Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eight Below

What is the story line to this movie. As I live in Australia it hasnt been released yet. I have written a script about some scientists in Antarctica and I want to see if there are any similiarites.

Isn't it about 2 guys who go on dog sled to find a meteor or something. What is the opening sequence to the movie? How does it end?

BTW, there haven't been any dogs in Antarctica for the last 13 years. (I flew out of Antarctica with the last Australian dog back in '93)

Re: Eight Below

It is very loosely inspired by the events back in the mid-fifties when a bunch of Japanese scientists had to leave their dog team behind in the face of an oncoming storm. When they returned a year later, two of the dogs were still waiting for them.

*SPOILERS*

SNOW DOGS begins with a scientist flying into the research station and he and the dog sled handler head off to where a meteor from Mercury is theorized to have landed. They find the evidence, but on the way back (after being ordered to return with dire warnings of a mounting storm) the scientist falls through the ice and almost goes under. But he's still in bad shape when they arrive at the station, just ahead of the storm.

Due to the nature of the storm, they are forced to leave the dog team, thinking they'll be able to return soon to retrieve them. It doesn't work out that way and the dogs are left to fend for themselves.

The rest of the movie alternates between the handler trying to scare up a rescue expedition, and the dogs fending for themselves over the course of the ensuing year.

Being a Disney movie, most of the dogs are alive when the humans finally return.
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by jaffa
      What is the story line to this movie. As I live in Australia it hasnt been released yet. I have written a script about some scientists in Antarctica and I want to see if there are any similiarites.

Isn't it about 2 guys who go on dog sled to find a meteor or something. What is the opening sequence to the movie? How does it end?

BTW, there haven't been any dogs in Antarctica for the last 13 years. (I flew out of Antarctica with the last Australian dog back in '93)
      I think you left one "dog" behind -- this movie.

Comment

Originally posted by miles
        Trying not to ruin it for you, but two of the dogs die in this movie... the rest are saved. My wife really wanted to see this one, because she loves those dogs... the eyes, and hair... etc. So, it was very good and emotionally valid to watch. Very good job that Disney did.

Cheers!
        D. Alin
        http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Comment

What don't tell me...
          Disney the anthropomorphizing douche bags that they are all the dogs have these really great personalities and act all human like, right? As oppose to being what they really are I don't know maybe umm...ah.... DOGS?
          Faster would be better! ~ Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

i wanted to see the movie just off seeing the dogs (i love those dogs too) but then i noticed Paul Walker, who seems to play the same character in every movie, was starring.....so i'll wait for DVD.

so 2 of the pups die in the movie? aw man, now thas acting, even the dogs know how to act better than Paul.
            One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

when i went to china last month i ate four alaskan sled dogs and a dobberman.

vig

Comment

Originally posted by miles
                Huh? This film is getting good reviews...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eight_below/

...and I've seen it and think it"s pretty good. As for Disney making the dogs "human" - they really don't. The dogs act pretty dog-like throughout, and attack and kill other animals to survive (not very Disney). I didn't do a "dogs that die" count, but not all dogs make it and one of the two "star dogs" is mortally wounded. This is the "Bambi's mom gets shot" style of Disney - more realistic. Sure, the dogs are cute, and the film has a happy ending (except for the dead dogs), but I saw it in a cinema filled with kids who are probably scarred for life from some of the stuff in this film. I jumped out of my seat at one scene - more frightening than the last dozen horror films I've seen.

Always a good idea to actually see the movie before you give your opinion of it.

- Bill (could tell you what's wrong with it, but think there's much more right about it)
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Humm, I could have swear that I saw the dogs winking at each other during a trailer maybe it was the drugs or another movie.
                  Faster would be better! ~ Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

I'm having problems posting. This is my third try. I'm exhausted. I did see the movie. Too much exposition too early in the movie. Walker's flat acting, some lame dialogue, made it hard to get emotionally involved. It's only my opinion. I don't care what the reviews say.

SPOILER

It's a tough one because they have to show the dogs surviving, so we've long known that the dogs have broken away from the chains, yet when Walker finally discovers the dogs have broken away from the chains, and two are dead -- there's no dramatic impact. It's like it didn't play to audience.

I'm kicking myself in the ass because a guy at a big prod co. asked me who I envisioned in my comedy, and I never thought of Jason Biggs. I forgot about him until I saw this movie. He had some funny moments.

Miles

Comment

exactly. Paul Walker plays the same role in EVERY movie - himself.
                      One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

walker, was zach's stunt double on saved by the bell.

vig

Comment

And trailers never lie....
                          Free Script Tips:
                          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Working...
                          X