Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syriana

How was this nominated for Best Original when Bob Baer's book was source material? I know I am disgustingly late asking, and it has
    probably been answered before, but help a half-wit out here, will ya?
    @MacBullitt

Re: Syriana

It was just "inspired by" the book. And really, it was more inspired by Bob Baer's life than anything else. I read the book well before the film went into production -- trust me, there's a passing relationship at best. Gaghan largely went out on his own with this one, and wrote one of the most(morally as well as plot-wise) complex and thought-provoking political thrillers in history.
    Reaction time is a factor, so please pay attention.

Comment

Criminally robbed of Oscar nominations....

Comment

Baer was on Bill Maher's HBO weekly show last Friday, by the way.

Comment

Adaptation was nominated for best adapted screenplay when it was an original work, and Donald Kaufman doesn't even exist yet he got a nomination.

Comment

http://www.thebookstandard.com/books..._id=1001881560
            If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed. -- Stanley Kubrick

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard
              Donald Kaufman doesn't even exist yet he got a nomination.
              That BS always p1ssed me off, personally.

Comment

I was over at Blockbuster yesterday. Syriana doesn't come out on video until December!

Comment

Clooney's Oscar should be an indicator that Syriana will now be "re-released" wider to more theatres. I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Architeuthis Dux
                    I was over at Blockbuster yesterday. Syriana doesn't come out on video until December!
                    That's incorrect. I think that when a release date is in limbo, the Blockbuster computers default to Dec. 31. (That's what happened with SHOPGIRL, which is now coming out in May.)

If memory serves, I think SYRIANA is coming in May or June....

Comment

april 18
                      If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed. -- Stanley Kubrick

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard
                        Adaptation was nominated for best adapted screenplay when it was an original work, and Donald Kaufman doesn't even exist yet he got a nomination.
                        It was adapted from THE ORCHID THIEF. It was kind of the point of the film.

Or were you being facetious?
                        Procrastination Made Easy

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Oborne
                          It was adapted from THE ORCHID THIEF. It was kind of the point of the film.

Or were you being facetious?
                          I think the point being made was that the film was in no way "only" an adaptation of that book. That is, if it can be argued that "Syriana" strays from its source material enough to warrant an "Original Screenplay" designation, then why would "Adaptation," which is significantly more different from its source material than "Syriana" is, stay in the "Adapted Screenplay" category?

And the bit about "Donald Kaufman" just solidifies the notion that CK can do whatever he wants and everyone will go along with it for fear of seeming like they don't "get it."

Comment

I loved the Donald Kaufman bit. Funny as hell, because it brings the overriding theme of the movie outside the film, making it a living breathing thing - figuratively, of course. A stroke of creative genius in my book.

As for Syriana, I didn't read the source material, but I asked myself the same question.
                            http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Yeah, Hairy. I mean, it's cute and all but it ticks me off for the very reasons you cite. As soon as it enters the real world, it's fraud. Is "Donald Kaufman" paying WGA dues? If not has the "writing team" of Charlie Kaufman & Donald Kaufman been disciplined? Was the payment divided equally to the two parties? What about the income tax? Did Donald get an Oscar too? To who's custody was it released?

It's the same beef as ever with CK --the rules don't apply to him. It's not his fault that everybody else is expected to write stuff that makes money. I hate the way this town goes along with every single cult of personality myth this guy creates for himself.

Comment

Working...
                              X