Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Libertine

What is this movie about? It looks surprisingly interesting, and yet I've heard absolutely not one peep from any of my sources on it. I know it has the Deppster in it, but I can get over that.

Any good? What's the logline? Anyone?

Re: The Libertine

My wife informed me that we'd be going to see this tonight, so I'll have a report for you by 3 am Saturday morning(your time).

Comment

PLOT OUTLINE(from imdb):
      The story of John Wilmot (Depp), a.k.a. the Earl of Rochester, a 17th century poet who famously drank and debauched his way to an early grave, only to earn posthumous critical acclaim for his life's work.

I'll be seeing it.

Some funny quotes(I'm guessing this is sort of Comedy slash Drama?)
      "Allow me to be frank... you will not like me."
      "Allow me to be frank at the commencement. You will not like me."
      "Ladies, an announcement. I am up for it all the time."
      "This is my prologue, and I, do not want you, to like me."
      "How exciting. The Royal fingering beckoning me."
      "In my experince those who do not like you fall into two catagories: the stupid and the envious."
      sigpic

Comment

It's allegedly just an awful movie and been on the shelf for a while.
        "I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

ZZzzzzzzz

Looks like another boring elizabethan period piece to me. Also, Depp seems to be doing the same old 'look at me I'm kinda wierd' shtick... I'm slowly getting over it.

Comment

Yeah, according to imdb the film came out in 2004(or was supposed to), and this is the first I've heard of it.

Guess the studio wanted to 'wait for the opportune moment' to cash in on Depp's name. I'm interested to see how much money it earns this weekend.
            sigpic

Comment

I saw this a year ago. My company was one of several hired to cut a trailer for it.

It's definitely NOT a comedy/drama.

It's not quite as awful as people are saying. There are times when Depp's character wins you over...where his rebellion and self-destruction are done for the sake of his beliefs and his art...and since we're all writers there's something we can all enjoy in there. But overall it's a pretty slow moving period piece with exceptionally bad cinematography. Depp is just okay. Not his finest work by a longshot.

Ele...

Comment

So this is his "Stealth" -- Foxx had to suffer this being released off Ray... This is Depp's "Reward" for Neverland/Pirates/Wonka

Comment

The Earl of Rochester (known to us former English majors and Jack Benny as just Rochester) was a rake and a, yes, libertine, not Elizabethan but much later.

Have a look at some of his poems. I think you'll either be mighty surprised or a bit shocked. He was the Henry Miller of his day.

Comment

Considering I don't know who the **** Henry Miller is...

...color me not impressed.

"I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

Just one more reason to get hammered tonight.

Comment

I saw it this morning. it was slow, weird and nothing of what I expected. Samantha Morton was good. There's a scene of a tree-orgy which was interesting to see. Depp deteriorating was okay. I know I'm giving a few things away but this is to help the people that wants to see it. The film didn't work for me. His passion for art didn't compensate for his crude actions. The character had a few powerful lines to show insight but wasn't enough. No wonder they had trouble finding distribution for this.

Comment

Henry Miller (where have you been?) wrote The Tropic of Cancer and The Tropic of Capricorn, among others, which were hugely famous in their day for their frank sexuality and raw language. Every kid would steal their parents' copies and check them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Schuster
                            Henry Miller (where have you been?) wrote The Tropic of Cancer and The Tropic of Capricorn, among others, which were hugely famous in their day for their frank sexuality and raw language. Every kid would steal their parents' copies and check them out.
                            Funny how you could always turn right to the "dirty" parts--kinda like there was a marker there, or something.

Then there were the real dirty books that my mother had in her lingerie drawer: sex manuals that were written in the 20s and 30s. They were hysterical.
                            Writers write to be read, right?

Comment

andlary,

Come to think of it I remember looking at "National Geographic" to see the pictures of the naked cave women.

My gandmother was a Bible-toting Presbyterian, it was the only book she ever read. I often wondered if she "got off" on reading about all the orgies.

Anyhow, the old bag and her twin sister from Boston were at one time the oldest living identical twins in North America.

Why God/ Godess, Mother/Father Nature kept her living was more then I could ever fathom.

Comment

Working...
                              X