No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spike Lee Presents "CSA: The Conferate States of American"

Originally posted by dclary
    You're not suffering from slavery. You're suffering from lack-of-victimitis. The poor, underclassed people in America are being taught that they're victims, that there's something wrong with them that's somebody else's fault -- and as someone who's not in that class, you're subconsciously feeling left out that you're not a victim. As such, you're accepting the role of the victimizer, and constructing illogical guilt over an act you never committed. Everyone tells you it's your fault that something happened 150 years ago, and that you have to pay for it, and you believe them?

I've got a bridge for sale... Interested?
    Thank you Call it what you like.

Only, I'm don't understand your agitation. Why would a little boy from Orange County get so worked up over race relations?

Don't you think it's time to hang up the one size fits all labels?

Obviously, after all these years of Rush, they're not really working, are they?
    Last edited by andlary1; 03-21-2006, 11:49 AM.
    Writers write to be read, right?

Comment

a) I'm not from Orange County
      b) I'm not agitated.
      c) No. As far as pigmentation goes, I am most definitely not interested in hanging up the "one-size-fits-all." How could you even suggest otherwise and not call yourself a racist? I believe all colors are the same in the traits that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Deus Ex Machine
        "red neck" was a derogatory word used for the white "slaves" originally brought to the colonies to work in the tobacco fields and farms of the rich land owners. (working in the hot sun turned their white necks red)

During the eugenics craze of the 30's and 40's, it was primarily poor white people from the south (rednecks) who were imprisoned and sterilized for the crime of being poor, white and from the south.

I'm just saying that America's history of slavery and oppression is not unique to blacks.

Given the shared history of enslavement, segregation and oppression, it's ironic that red necks and blacks don't get along.

Respectfully but totally disagree with last statement. I don't think it's ironic at all. Sure, white folks didn't have it easy but I find it tough to compare a redneck's hell in this country to a black man's in the same time period -- or any period. Can't compare a redneck's hell to the hell experienced by the Native American. When you say "shared" it certainly ain't 50/50. I think statements like that can actually fuel animosity rather than extinguish it it.
        "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
        - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by andlary1
          I think you misunderstand psychology of oppressed peoples and the residue of that oppression, especially among males.

I'm sorry you choose to discount my theories, but I believe that there is a lor of truth to them. We are witnessing young black male rage in the form of gansta rap and gangs as I speak. Some of that expression has been extrapolated to violence....

America will pay for slavery for as long as it takes. I don't know how long that is. As long as it takes. I'm sorry that some people choose to diminish the reality of slavery.
          Im surprised you of all neocons would say that, andl.

it's entirely contradictory to your foreign policy views, but perhaps it shows that there's hope for you after all.

Even though, in this situation, I think you're too far on the left.

we'll meet somewhere in the middle one of these days.

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino
            Respectfully but totally disagree with last statement. I don't think it's ironic at all. Sure, white folks didn't have it easy but I find it tough to compare a redneck's hell in this country to a black man's in the same time period -- or any period. Can't compare a redneck's hell to the hell experienced by the Native American. When you say "shared" it certainly ain't 50/50. I think statements like that can actually fuel animosity rather than extinguish it it.
            Go see Lars Von Trier's "Mandalay" with Opie's daughter and Danny Glover in the Dane director's (he's never been in the U.S.) loose interpretation of slavery in the American South.

Comment

PHP Code:
              This is one of the stupidest things you've ever said. Show me one person suffering today because of the slavery that ended in the 1860s. Just one. 
              This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

But it confirms my belief that Dclary is more interested in nullifying -- or perhaps neutralizing -- history, reality, whatever he deems necessary to block out that noise that is racism in his head.

He wants African-Americans to "just get over it" He's not interested in viewing people on a colorblind basis. He is intent upon accepting them only if they agree to behave the way he deems they should. He has no concept of their pain or their pleasure -- just his own. He wants everyone to behave the way he perceives white men behave.

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb

Comment

I don't want to nullify or neutralize history. You must learn from the mistakes of the past, or be doomed to repeat them. But it's not just jews who don't want the holocaust to ever happen again. It's not just blacks who never want slavery to happen again. These bitter injustices must be condemned by all people, regardless of ethnicity, because they're crimes of humanity.

The worst possible way you could fight racism, is with racism. That's a death spiral.

He wants African-Americans to "just get over it" He's not interested in viewing people on a colorblind basis. He is intent upon accepting them only if they agree to behave the way he deems they should. He has no concept of their pain or their pleasure -- just his own. He wants everyone to behave the way he perceives white men behave.
                A) There's nothing African-Americans have to get over. Not a single one of them was ever a slave. Except for the very, very old of them, not a single one of them had parents who were slaves. What exactly am I preventing them from getting over? By your logic, should I still be really pissed that the Visigoths kicked the living sh*t out of my tribe in the 1000s?

B) You're entirely wrong. I insist on viewing people as colorblind, and I defy you to find a single statement or attitude I've presented in ANY of my posts that would indicate otherwise.

C) While I am not a racist, I am most definitely a culturist. I believe some cultures add more to the sociological table than others, that some cultures are vastly superior to others. For instance, modern "urban" culture is a blight on the face of the earth.

So in a way, you're right, I do require people to act in a way that I feel is right and proper before I'll give them the full respect or consideration that they deserve. However, this cultural attitude is also color blind. I don't care if you're Marshal Mathers or Biggie Smalls. If you're living the gangster lifestyle you're a f*ckin' loser.

Comment

This discussion is no longer relevant to the film and is becoming too personal in nature. Off topic discussions belong in the user group forum called "One on One."

- Admin
                  We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Comment

Working...
                  X