Which Actor "Disappears" Most in a Role- P.S.Hoffman or Gary Oldman?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Actor "Disappears" Most in a Role- P.S.Hoffman or Gary Oldman?

Okay, here's another post spawned by Twister. Which actor do you think disappears most into characters- Phillip Seymour Hoffman or Gary Oldman?

I go with Oldman. Compare 5th Element, Potter, and Batman Begins and you'd swear they were 3 different actors.

If there are others, feel free to add.

R.

Re: Which Actor "Disappears" Most in a Role- P.S.Hoffman or Gary Oldman?

I second Oldman. I love Hoffman, but his facial features are too recognizable, whereas Oldman's are more nondescript. I realize physical appearance ought not to be a consideration, but for two guys with this much talent, I think it comes down to this.

How about Oldman in True Romance. What a piece of work, eh?
    Just one more reason to get hammered tonight.

Comment

His performance in True Romance made me a fan. Left me wanting more.

Yes, he is a chameleon of sorts but both men are incredible actors.
      "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
      - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Watch Oldman in The Contender. Brilliant.

I love both of these guys. But Oldman wins. True Romance, Fifth Element, The Professional, Romeo is Bleeding, JFK, Sid and Nancy, Immortal Beloved.

This isn't the Howard Johnson's.

Comment

I'm going to go with Oldman as well. I think he's one of those actors where instead of putting name to general face you put name to a character he played so everyone will have a different view of what Gary Oldman looks like.

Does that make sense?

To boil it down: Oldman Is Chameleon.
          One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

OLDMAN

But, I have to throw a name in that has always been an idol of mine.
            For someone so handsome, he can be non-descript and disappear into a role.

Mickey Rourke.
            myhomeconvalesceblog

Comment

Oldman, certainly. My favorite of all his roles is as the playwright Joe Orton in "Prick up Your Ears".

Comment

I've always been a fan of Oldman. A splendid and wonderful actor. Yes, chameleon comes to mind but that's really a reflection of his talent isn't it?
                Yes, I loved him in True Romance but it was Leon aka The Professional that really pulled me in (for some odd reason).
                A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
                Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
                Money is better than compliments.

Comment

I love them both but Oldman is more the chameleon.

Loved all the films listed here and I'll add one -- Coppola's Dracula. Oldman made the charcater fresh.

It's sad that his career has slowed.
                  Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Easy one: Oldman hands down.

PSH has one role on that level.

Oldman has several. Liked him as Dracula; especially as the elder, white hairded Dracula.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm going to add Chris Cooper to the thread based on his performances in The Bourne Identity, Sea Biscuit, Adaption, Silver City, Capote...

Comment

I thought that originally said "Gary Coleman" and I laughed my ash off. "Disappears" ahahahaha.
                        Screenwriting is like stripping. You don't just dump your clothes on the floor. You tease as you go. And then you get screwed in a back room for money. - Craig Mazin

Comment

Originally posted by Republic of Stephen
                          I'm going to add Chris Cooper to the thread based on his performances in The Bourne Identity, Sea Biscuit, Adaption, Silver City, Capote...
                          ...American Beauty. I'd also add Adaptation .
                          Just one more reason to get hammered tonight.

Comment

Oldman is quite possibly the best actor not be nominated for an Oscar.
                            "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                            - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

But, I have to throw a name in that has always been an idol of mine.
                              For someone so handsome, he can be non-descript and disappear into a role.

Mickey Rourke.
                              After his plastic surgery he's only got once face...& it's ugly!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X