Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Hur

What do you all think about this film? For me personally it's one of my if not my all time favorite movie. I love the story and I love charleton Heston's performance. He really draws you into it. Also this film simply has incredible music. It was way ahead of it's time in that regard. I still listen to it on a regular basis. I had heard (though I can't remember where) that they had considered Marlon Brando for the part of Judah. It's hard to imagine anyone other than Heston in the part, but man, that would have been incredible and raw I'd imagine.
    Passion Fuels Passion

Re: Ben Hur

Probably seen it a half dozen times and I couldn't tell you a thing about it.
    http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Why's that?
      Passion Fuels Passion

Comment

It seems like it was on every time I was home sick from school when I was a kid. So I was ill and it was about 20 years ago. My memory is good, but not that good.

Comment

I remember the "cruising" part...And the drums.
          The predecessor of "Love Boat" in a weird kind of way.

Jokes aside, I did like Heston in both "The Ten Commandments" and "Ben Hur"...Then I saw him in Michael Moore's "BFC"
          A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
          Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
          Money is better than compliments.

Comment

hairy is giving up homers left and right today and looking like a pretender. who else is in the bullpen?

christ lime. i'm disappointed.

you probably remember anthony quinn's donkey's sister's brother's name in Guns For San Sebastian, but draw a blank on Ben-Hur

you suck

Ben-Hur is a truly great film in every sense of greatness

Comment

Good thing it's still Spring Training. Just working out the kinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pen Dragon
                hairy is giving up homers left and right today and looking like a pretender. who else is in the bullpen?

christ lime. i'm disappointed.

you probably remember anthony quinn's donkey's sister's brother's name in Guns For San Sebastian, but draw a blank on Ben-Hur

you suck

Just one more reason to get hammered tonight.

Comment

Ben Hur always brings round memories for me and smiles. The day my mother took me into the city to see it, she ask my father if he'd like to join us.

"No,", he replied, "don't you remember, Lois? We saw that in Chicago?"

Mother winked at me, called out, "Oh? I forgot. When was that, Andy?"

"1937--at the State, on Michigan Avenue!"

Jeez!

My parents were the oldest among my friends'. Everyone asked me why my grandparents brought me to school every day.

I didn't like it.

Now, as for Ben Hur. I think it depends upon whether you have a churched background. For more religious types, Heston was downright biblical sex personified. The man's pecs worked for me.

What story? Then there was that Irish actor whose name I've temporarily forgotten.

Then, I was so little and then came the Beatles, then who cared?
                  Writers write to be read, right?

Comment

Stephen Boyd. goddamit.

Stephen Boyd.

Comment

Originally posted by Pen Dragon

Must agree there. Anybody ever read the book though? I've got the movie, but not the book and was curious if the movie was faithful to the source.

Comment

Originally posted by Motiv8
                        Must agree there. Anybody ever read the book though? I've got the movie, but not the book and was curious if the movie was faithful to the source.
                        It was in our library at home but it was so old and dusty and if I could see it, why read it? I'm pretty lazy!
                        Writers write to be read, right?

Comment

It's a good movie up until the usual gratuitous religious hokum creeps in.

Jack Hawkins made a fine Roman general and the sea battle was as memorable as the chariot race, with the prow rams and the slaves doomed to go down with their ships.

-Derek
                          My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.
                          Take the critiques you get with a grain of salt. Invariably, some of the critics will be kooks, bitter curmudgeons, or complete fools. ~odocoileus

Comment

Is one of my all time favorites and one of the first films I remember seeing as a child. Unlike Hairy I remember it quite well and feel a childhood connection to this film.

It would show at the local classic theater every couple of years and my whole family would always sit up in the balcony.

Heston was perfect for the role and I've always found the religious portions very moving.

It's strong, strong story telling.
                            Something seriously lacking in many current films.
                            Are you going to write "Trust me" in the query?"
                            by BellaBella

Comment

Yeah I like the elements of faith in there. It's kind of interesting how drastically things have swung in terms of portraying faith on film in the last 50 or so years. Back then it was perfectly normal and acceptable but now a film like The Passion stirs up huge amounts of controversey. It almost seems as if in Hollywood social tolerance has to come at the cost of religious intolerance. I think that's laregely due to ignorance and stereotypes on both sides. Although Hollywood really is a different animal than it was back then so I suppose it's not all that surprising. You don't have any John Waynes today and you would never see the top actors enlisting like they did in WWII. Oh well, everything works itself out in the end.
                              Passion Fuels Passion

Comment

Working...
                              X