Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies about the Golden Age of Hollywood

I'm in the process of building a home theater and I'd really like to have the design be inspired by the golden age of Hollywood. I was wondering if you all could recommend some films (classic or contemporary) that capture the style of that era.
    Passion Fuels Passion

Re: Movies about the Golden Age of Hollywood

"The Aviator", certainly.

Also, do you live in the NYC area? In Astoria, Queens, you can visit the American Museum of the Moving Image, which has a splendid cinema designed by Red Grooms, but which has an archive of photos and plans and such you could probably gain access to for your research.

Comment

I live in Colorado so I'm quite a ways away from NYC, but I'll definatley take another look at the Aviator.
      Passion Fuels Passion

Comment

Gorilla, click around in the museums's site. You may just come up with something: http://ammi.org/site/site.php

Also, I'm old(ish) enough to remember the great picture palaces of Manhattan, which were astonishing: marble walls, huge curtains that parted before the feature. Now, sadly, gone the way of the brontosaurus, though I saw such pictures as "2001", "Lawrence of Arabia", "Around the World in 80 Days", and "Exodus" there, as well as the first Cinerama productions, with a wide, curved screen.

Comment

The Ziegfeld still exists. The others are gone.

The Beekman was recently torn down. It wasn't even one of the classic movie palaces, but it was featured in Annie Hall and at least one Seinfeld episode and Woody Allen was fond of premiering his movies there.

Sunset Blvd and Singin' in the Rain both explore insider Hollywood during the studio era.
          http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Not Hollywood

Is it a "home theatre"? The comfortable, intimate stage of the Booth Theater, on West 45th, or do you want the vast Radio City Music Hall and the long line of Rockettes?

I preferred the Booth, (especially when I could stay at the old Pickwick, and could get to a show by walking out the hotel lobby and across the street, but that's history, now). I also enjoyed many film classics at the Varsity Theater, in Seattle, despite its being very crowded and the projector rattling in the booth, (never far enough away). I never did see anything at the Moore Theater, downtown, (one of those magnificent "picture palaces").

If you enjoy films, you're not wanting to be distracted away from the screen, are you?

Another film about a historic theatre, worth a watch, is: MRS. HENDERSON PRESENTS.
            JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

There should be a few very nice books available about the classic movie theater designs.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm mulling over as many pcitures as I can find right now.
                Passion Fuels Passion

Comment

And here's the Rivoli, a fond memory of mine, where I went to a lot of opening nights as a kid : http://cinematreasures.com/theater/555/.

Comment

Man I would love to see some movies in a place like that! It's a shame that the best I got these days in the cineplex's that look virtually identical except for the color of the carpet. If I ever become wealthy, I'm determined to build a movie palace here so people in Colorado can get the full experience.
                    Passion Fuels Passion

Comment

L.A. Confidential

I have a room in my house just for memorabilia and golden age Hollywood decor.
                      sigpic

Comment

If you're close to Denver, I'm sure there's a downtown theater, probably called the Odeon or something similar.

Every big city has a few of them. Fabulous old theaters! Check them out. Many of them have been refurbished.
                        Writers write to be read, right?

Comment

I don't remember a scene in a theatre in "L.A. Confidential". Did I blink?

Comment

Yep. There's a scene from This Gun For Hire in Lynn Bracken's room.
                            sigpic

Comment

True, but I had the sense that Gorilla's looking for the style of theatre of the day. Lynn was watching it projected on a screen (or her wall, I forget).

Comment

Working...
                              X