What is the most overrated film since 2000?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What is the most overrated film since 2000?

I think generally glowing reviews from the critics and an Academy Award nomination for Felicity could be interpreted as "overrated."

Comment

I'll add Napolean Dynamite. It had some lines that were funny later, but I would definitely classify it as overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Republic of Stephen
        Oscar indeed. William Hurt's nomination should have been given to the big monkey.
        My God man, you have got a serious boner for that CGI ape and the trashy POS movie he appeared in.

Comment

Who should have been nominated over her?
          http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Lime
            Dunno. Never claimed I had a replacement in mind.

Comment

I thought it was a hell of a movie considering the budget and subject matter. Had a lot of heart and "her" performance was truly a transformation.

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Lime
                I thought Dame Jessica Simpson positively shone with her riveting portrayal of a woman dealing with the simmering class distinctions that still divide the American South, in Jay Chandrasekhar's multi-generational epic "Dukes of Hazzard."

Comment

You make an excellent point, Joe.

Comment

2) Batman Begins was cool. Not everybody liked it, but not everybody likes cool.
                    That was nicely put.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jessejames
                      I'll add Napolean Dynamite. It had some lines that were funny later, but I would definitely classify it as overrated.
                      great call.

ill update my list.

Comment

My point about THE ISLAND being overrated wasn't about the critics, but its overseas success. Sorta tongue in cheek, there.

But BATMAN BEGINS is by far my choice for most overrated movie since 2000. With a qualifier: my opinion is that as a movie for the fans, it's fantastic. It's a hand-job for the fans. The majority of the critics (I'm assuming a majority of which are fans of the mythos) loved it, the fans loved it...

...but it just really wasn't a very good movie. Technically speaking.

And also, completely unnecessary. I don't follow the whole Batman mythos but I still have the backstory burned into my cultural DNA. Young Bruce Wayne witnesses his mother and father get whacked by a street thug, grows up into a neurotic headspace and blossoms into a dark knight vigilante. Gotcha. We know BW/Batman. Give us the backstory on the villain.

Add to that dialogue so contrived and predictable that everyone gets a chance to play virtual thespian and shout out the delivery before the actors.

"Does it come in black?-

Please.

Plus, Christopher Nolan oversaw the action in a staggeringly incompetent manner, with uptight camera moves coming across like a blind man trying to film a street riot.
                        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Plus, Christopher Nolan oversaw the action in a staggeringly incompetent manner, with uptight camera moves coming across like a blind man trying to film a street riot

I'm really working on this imagery. I'm teling you, it's not easy.

Writers write to be read, right?

Comment

Exactly.
                            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30
                              Plus, Christopher Nolan oversaw the action in a staggeringly incompetent manner, with uptight camera moves coming across like a blind man trying to film a street riot.
                              I agree with that. Putting the camera in the middle of a hectic fight doesn't make me feel like I'm in the middle of that fight. It made me feel like the camera operator was having an epileptic seizure that rendered him physically incapable of conveying anything to the audience. It was a blur of motion, that's all.

But it still wasn't as bad as the Bourne Supremacy. I've seen better camera work on backyard wrestling videos shot by 12 year-olds.

Comment

What you guys are complaining about is not incompetence. It is a deliberate artistic choice.

Maybe not a good one, but still, a deliberate attempt to give you a kind of "you are there" experience.

Anyway, I think (hope) we've seen the last of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X