Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erdnase's POSEIDON review **spoilers**

First of all, I loved the straight seemingly uncut opening sequence. And I really liked the thrill and VFX of the sequence that is the turning point of the film. Richard Dreyfuss is as hysterical as he is hilarious. Watch the deed that is cancelled because of the huge wave. Kurt Russell and Emmy Rossum are great in the roles as estranged father and daughter and this theme is repeated throughout the film. Josh Lucas is ever zealous and tough as the man determined to survive along with his company. But what about more exposition? What was Dreyfuss's phone call really all about? He seems to forget the interpersonal conflict plaguing him during the ordeal... It was funny that I was tempted to answer Kurt Russell when his character states that "I used to be a fireman before..." Well yeah? In BACKDRAFT.... It also seemed intentional to kill of the sleazy drunkard who has all but been devoid of etiquette wishing to go ahead of Jennifer Ramsey (Rossum) in the crossing. The bastard got what he deserved...Kidding aside, there was an Armagedonny moment in the end when Christian, Rossum's fiancee decides that he is the best person for the job in turning the propellers off because of his swimmer's ability. But no real denouement is ever brought between Kurt Russell and Rossum. LIkewise what of Richard Dreyfuss and the person he was calling? There was also no expression from Rossum's part at least to her husband to be about how grateful she was for her Father and perhaps resolve between the two was reserved for the next life? Josh Lucas, the other lady and the kid were also obviously living happily ever after but because of the lack of depth of resolve and character study, at least in the climax, the happy ending isn't justified.

6/10

P.S.

I haven't seen the original yet...

Re: Erdnase's POSEIDON review **spoilers**

This movie loses me when I think about how Tidal waves actually work.

They don't form up to destructive power until their base hits shallower water.

Detectable yes but devastating, no.

How far out to sea is the Poseidon?
    Are you going to write "Trust me" in the query?"
    by BellaBella

Comment

Originally posted by scripter1
      This movie loses me when I think about how Tidal waves actually work.

They don't form up to destructive power until their base hits shallower water.

Detectable yes but devastating, no.

How far out to sea is the Poseidon?
      My understand is that the boat is hit by a "rogue" wave. Not a tsunami.

Rogue waves are very real and well documented. They happen at sea.

In this season of the "Deadliest Catch" on The Discover channel, one is caught on camera. On a 100 foot fishing boat, one designed to handle the brutal Bearing straight, they are experiencing very rough weather, when all of a sudden you see white water come crashing down from the starboard side of the ship. For a brief second you see the ship launch to port and then the camera gets knocked out as the boat is flipped on its side. Luckily they regained power and righted the ship, but video is incredible. The wave is clearly MUCH larger than the ship.

Also, a luxury cruise liner was hit by a rogue a year ago: http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-257523c.html
      Last edited by prescribe22; 05-12-2006, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Ah, rogue wave.
        For some reason I thought it was a tidal wave.
        by BellaBella

Comment

Scripter1- you know as much about tidal waves as about Smarty Jones.

<smile>

Just kidding. I concede that argument to you. You were right.

Erdnase, it's funny that the first thing you mention is the seemingly
          uncut opening sequence because thats the first thing a local critic
          lambasted in his critical review to the point of explaining how it was actually
          done with cgi.

It's nice to see that there are still movie goers impressed with things
          like that. I know I am.
          myhomeconvalesceblog

Comment

Thank you J.

I just don't remember in the trailers it looking like a particularly bad storm.
            I do remember a bolt of lightening revealing the wave, so I guess that sets up the rogue wave scenerio.

It's been a little while since I've seen a trailer for this.
            by BellaBella

Comment

That's why they're called rogue waves. They seemingly appear out of nowhere, enormous, gigantic, and entirely deadly to whatever's in the way.

I remember reading an article in Discover about 2 years ago about a project that was able to partially simulate the creation of rogue waves in a much-smaller environment... but knowing how to create them (at the time) had not led to any help toward knowing how to predict them.

Comment

Speak of the devil.

http://www.discover.com/issues/jul-0...s/rogue-waves/

Excerpt:

Reports from the Norwegian and British shipping industry suggest that rogue waves sink one supertanker or freighter every year. Rod Rainey, an engineer who investigates ship damage, told the BBC that a storm wave 12 meters high hits a ship with a force of 6 tons per square meter. A ship can take a hit of 15 tons per square meter without damage; 30 tons per square meter will dent it. A rogue wave can bring 100 tons per square meter down on a ship. "That,- says Rainey, "will hole it.-

Comment

Yikes.
                  by BellaBella

Comment

Erdnase, it's funny that the first thing you mention is the seemingly
                    uncut opening sequence because thats the first thing a local critic
                    lambasted in his critical review to the point of explaining how it was actually
                    done with cgi.
                    I said seemingly uncut... I know, it's a photogrammetry of sorts... Not CG-literate enough to judge whether the blend of cg models and live action was seamless......

There's also one "impossible" camera movement like that in War of the Worlds (2005) where they're escaping in the van...

Comment

Saw Poseidon as a secret shopper. I'm glad I'm being reimbursed for my ticket.

Laughable dialogue on top of unbelievable action sequences. Unbelievable in the sense that if fire on the capsized boat had the same properties as fire in the rest of the world, everyone would have been dead within 10 minutes.

I did love the campiness of Kurt Russell ... former fire fighter (Backdraft) and Mayor of NYC (Escape from NY) ... Dreyfuss and Rossum were watchable while Lucas was out of his element as a leading man and Rossum's love interest was perhaps the most ridiculous young actor to hit a summer blockbuster since Hayden Christiansen appeared in that Star Wars mess.
                      http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Hairy, SW was not a mess...It was a disastrous debacle. I can actually say that and forgive my Natalie for being in them.
                        Now for the hate mails from the fans.
                        A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
                        Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
                        Money is better than compliments.

Comment

Working...
                        X