Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Akeelah And The Bee

Love it. I was predisposed to like it because A) I know the writer/director, and B) it was a Nicholl Fellowship-winning script.

But I went with friends today and we all loved it. There were great reactions from the audience, and even applause during the final spelling bee.

Loved the lighting, camera angles, direction.

And Keke Palmer is a delight.
    my webpage
    my blog

Re: Akeelah And The Bee

Forgot to say -- people in the theater were actually applauding with relief when favorite characters spelled their words right by the time we got to the National Bee. That was cool.
    my webpage
    my blog

Comment

Generally good reviews from critics and good word of mouth, but it just didn't connect with a larger audience.
      "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

I found it cute, but ultimately overrated after all the high praise.

This isn't the Howard Johnson's.

Comment

I'm going to wait until it comes out on video. V-I-D-E-O. Video.

Comment

I just saw it, too, and liked it a lot. The performances are spot on, and so is the emotional journey we go on with her.

My local audience applauded, too, even though we're in the upscale part of the Valley (Woodland Hills) she has to compete against.)

Comment

Joan -- I was thinking about you all through the movie. Woodland Hills. Woodland Hills. Boo. Hiss. (Except y'all actually came off really well.)
              my webpage
              my blog

Comment

That's funny, Pooks.

I would have written it the same way your friend did -- that everybody cooperates. Because a lot of people do. I've been part of a big volunteer tutoring program for years.

Comment

I don't know where else to put this, but this probably isn't the best place. Anyway, if you have a connection with a school, here's a contest for you:

http://www.nba.com/mavericks/communi...ng_051006.html

On Wednesday, May 10th, the Mavs Foundation brought over 500 kids from different Metroplex community groups to the Inwood Theater in Dallas to see the movie, Akeelah and the Bee, about a precocious eleven-year old girl from south Los Angeles with a gift for words. Despite the objections of her mother, Akeelah enters numerous spelling contests. Akeelah's aptitude earns her an opportunity to compete for a spot in the Scripps National Spelling Bee and in turn unites her neighborhood who witness the courage and inspiration of one little girl.

Lionsgate Films has announced a promotion where the school that collects the most Akeelah movie stubs between now and June 6th will receive up to a $100,000 donation. For more details go to www.beesupportive.com
                  my webpage
                  my blog

Comment

Joan, one of the reviews I read mentioned how he went against the cliche and didn't use the "rich kid = bad guy" thing. I thought Doug did a really good job of avoiding that and some others, as well. The story took some turns that I didn't expect.
                    my webpage
                    my blog

Comment

Originally posted by Joaneasley
                      I just saw it, too, and liked it a lot. The performances are spot on, and so is the emotional journey we go on with her.

My local audience applauded, too, even though we're in the upscale part of the Valley (Woodland Hills) she has to compete against.)

I, too, saw it in Woodland Hills and experienced no applause. Of course, it was a mid week, afternoon viewing.
                      Hi neighbor.

Comment

Pooks, I wish I had known about the competition before I threw away my ticket. The school where I tutor probably won't do too well at collecting them, because many of the parents don't speak English. They were all there with balloons and flowers for their kids at the graduation to middle school, though.

Hey, Whitenavel. AMC at the Promenade Mall? The happy audience that applauded was there on Friday afternoon.

Comment

I thought the kid rocked. I went with my little film crew and we all enjoyed
                          the story. I can't say I thought the direction was stellar, but all in all it
                          was worth seeing in the theater.

Charli

Comment

Originally posted by Joaneasley
                            Hey, Whitenavel. AMC at the Promenade Mall? The happy audience that applauded was there on Friday afternoon.

Saw it on Tuesday afternoon at the Promenade. Audience seemed to enjoy it, but no applause.

Comment

Working...
                            X