No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Please stop making "horror" movies.

Just needed to add this:

I loved WRONG TURN. Loved it even better than the movie it tried to copycat: Just Before Dawn.

Thank you....that is all.
    sigpic

Comment

I really enjoyed ... The Others, The Devil's Backbone (Spain), and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake ... but horror has always been the realm of copious B-movie schlock and the occassional brilliant film.
      http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

HW doesn't' make movies for an audience of one.

Complaining that HW makes movies for the largest possible demographic is like complaining that McDonalds sells hamburgers.

When it comes to straight up horror movies, the largest demographic that will go to see it is teenage males. No company in the world is going to ignore and risk loosing its largest revenue source.

Fortune favors the bold - Virgil

Comment

Hw should stop making em because you don't like em?...I love horror movies and so do alot of other people. Just don't go see them is all.

Comment

A younger audience tends to be more sensationalist. An older audience more cerebral. HW will output the mix that brings them the greatest revenue. That doesn't just mean BO. Schlock horror gets the teens in the cinema and pleases the distributors and exhibitors.
            More cerebral fare doesn't generate the same BO numbers and so is less attractive to exhibiters but tends to be more profitable to studios through DVD and TV sell through.

The studios try to ' bundle' their sales to distributors along those lines.
            http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Lime
              ... but horror has always been the realm of copious B-movie schlock and the occassional brilliant film.
              There's always someone who says it before I can.

Although, to be fair, Bio has a point. His list of great Hollywood horror films (which appears to be missing John Carpenter's THE THING, but I assume that's just an error) all have one thing in common: they were all directed by those who were, at that point in their careers at least, masters of their craft.

There don't seem to be any Hollywood directors of that level working today that would even consider making a horror picture (if there are any directors on that level at all); and the most skilled directors that do either a) have a fondness for schlock, or b) go for the mainstream cross-over flick that some horror fans (myself included) approach with skepticism, because it'll probably be (and often is) the horror equivalent of those "vegetarians" that also eat fish.
              Procrastination Made Easy

Comment

Point schmoint. He is 100% serious in his quest for everyone to stop seeing horror films, because he is unsatisfied. Is that fair?

Some people (apparently the lowest common denominator, which, btw, is a moving target depending on pov, though in this case the finger seems to be pointed at the visceral crowd, and who isn't a part of that crowd, sometimes. I actually wish I were more often let me start over, because this got longer than I expected.)

Some people are paying to see them and even looking forward to and enjoying them. Who is to tell these people they aren’t allowed to be entertained, or that they're wrong for being entertained?

Let he without peculiarities cast the first genre ban.
                Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

What some like Bio define as "horror movies", I define as "slasher flicks."

Even higher quality movies like Saw and The Ring I would still define as slasher flicks because they exercise the same cheap scares as other slasher types do.

As for horror movies, I would classify the classics like The Shining and The Exorcist as true horror movies. I'd also include recent movies like Sixth Sense, Blair Witch and The Others in this category.

It's a thin line sometimes between slasher flick and quality horror movie and it really all comes down to the individual in the end.

I think the true test of what should be defined as a classic horror story is when someone who doesn't like "horror movies" likes a movie like The Shining. That to me is a horror movie with genuine quality.

Comment

Originally posted by rhett_butler
                    As for horror movies, I would classify the classics like The Shining and The Exorcist as true horror movies. I'd also include recent movies like Sixth Sense, Blair Witch and The Others in this category.

The difference between horror, slasher and supernatural thriller is largely in the eye of the beholder IMO.

For example, no way would I call any of the above 'Horror'

Comment

Hey, man! This is the exact subject of the article I'm writing for Script for the October issue!* But it's about why they are making all of these horror movies... and will probably continue. And it's all about 9/11, baby! That's the real reason why horror flicks are popular.

The *audience* wants horror movies. Why? Because of what is happening out there in the real world. My article is about how writers have to strip away their insulation from the real world and get in sync with what's happening out there... and think about how that influences what people want to see at the cinema.

Yes, today's horror movies are mostly crap. So write some good ones.

- Bill (writing horror movie for Lifetime... seriously)

PS: As for sub-genres of Horror like "slasher" and "supernatural thriller" and "J-horror", etc - they are all HORROR.

* And you know who suggested this article? DClary and some others here. Why can't Middle East terrorists be villains in movies is also covered.
                      wcmartell
                      Last edited by wcmartell; 06-07-2006, 06:23 PM.
                      Free Script Tips:
                      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by English Dave
                        For example, no way would I call any of the above 'Horror'
                        then, what's an example of a horror movie?

Comment

A haunted crap-taking.
                          https://actbreakdown.com

Comment

Btw, craps are not taken, they are left.

But, maybe that's the haunting part...
                            Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

waking up with Charles dressed in purple spandex and a tu-tu.
                              A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
                              Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
                              Money is better than compliments.

Comment

Originally posted by Qazworld
                                then, what's an example of a horror movie?
                                The genre ended with the last Hammer ' Dracula' movie!

Comment

Working...
                                X