No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Please stop making "horror" movies.

Tab, I wasn't poking at you.
    You were quite right when you said "Write better" than what's available right now. Point here is those movies were made. They might be poor in quality. Whatever. They were made.
    A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
    Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
    Money is better than compliments.

Comment

No one who aspires to making a career writing movies should advocate boycotting ANY genre of movies.
      Yeah, I thought about that after I turned my computer off, but I was too lazy turn it back on, come here, and delete "popular."
      I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Comment

Originally posted by English Dave
        The genre ended with the last Hammer ' Dracula' movie!
        As it's been stated many times before by various users, the definiton of horror does not equal and means much more then just a few gallons of blood and viscera.

Comment

Originally posted by j over
          As it's been stated many times before by various users, the definiton of horror does not equal and means much more then just a few gallons of blood and viscera.
          Amen brutha! Amen!
          A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
          Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"

Comment

Originally posted by Deus Ex Machine
            How do they make money? Do they put a gun to their customers' heads and force them to buy their products? No. They sell the customer what the customer wants. If the customer didn't want it, the customer wouldn't buy it and the company wouldn't make it because no company wants to waste money on a product the customers don't want.
            The customer, when it comes to horror films, doesn't know what he wants. He hasn't seen all the options. I'll bet money that over 99% of the derelict juveniles that patrol the cinemas showing these crap-fest "horror" movies haven't even seen a movie older than they are. You say Rosemary's Baby and they'll look at you like you have two heads.

McDonalds only sells bad food, so it's not like people have much of a choice when they go there. It's quick and tastes good, but I'll be damned if it's no more healthy than some growth under the sink in a McDonalds bathroom.

You give people crap and only crap and most will just take it. It just goes to show you how degenerated society has become. They eat horrible food and watch horrible movies...sometimes both at the same time. They either don't know any better, or don't care. Either way, it's their own fault.

It's not like people are standing outside Subway or wherever protesting that they serve food that's unhealthy. My sister is 16; her and her friends go to see the movies I am complaining about all the time...and they complain that they suck. I see the supply, but there is no demand. The kids of today are just retarded, my sister and her friends included.

Then why is HALLOWEEN up there with THE SHINING, ROSEMARY'S BABY and PSYCHO?
            Because it's one of the greatest horror films ever made. So is the original (duh) Texas Chain Saw Massacre. Tobe Hooper and John Carpenter have less than 5 great movies between them, and neither one is even close to the level of the other 3 directors I mentioned in a previous post. That shows that you don't have to be a master filmmaker to produce a masterwork of horror.

As for the Sixth Sense, it started as horror and became a sappy melodrama before the end. Signs is a lot more entertaining, and The Others failed to impress me.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard
              The kids of today are just retarded, my sister and her friends included.
              That's the most disgusting sentiment I've ever seen written down.
              Procrastination Made Easy

Comment

I agree with Bio.

I'd also like them to stop making comic book, superhero movies.

This isn't the Howard Johnson's.

Comment

And, romantic comedies.

If you want things to change, listen to what Rockridesva said. If nothing else, it at least gives you another windmill.

Actually, I don't find your beef crazy just your solution (and perhaps your attitude). I agree with some of your opinions on horror movies, but I understand that some people really do like them, however unimaginable you find that.

Also, McDonalds has quite a few healthier alternatives, now. I'd put up good money that says burgers and fries outsell them by a landslide.
                  Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by whitenavel
                    I agree with Bio.

Why not just shut the f*cking theaters down too while we're at it....geez louise......
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Isaac
                      Why not just shut the f*cking theaters down too while we're at it....geez louise......
                      Coolness. At least, I can start charging at my place. Eat your popcorn outside.
                      Thank you
                      Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"

Comment

Originally posted by whitenavel
                        I agree with Bio.

But some superhero movies are fairly well done. The first two Superman movies with Christopher Reeve were pretty good, and the first Batman movie with Michael Keaton was excellent (IMHO). The first X-Men movie also goes well into this group (haven't seen the second or third ones yet). Spawn was good, as well.

It's a hit-and-miss thing with superhero movies. The Shadow should have been great, but the whole Genghis Khan story line just spun the story completely down the drain. Incredible Hulk - oi. Spiderman - how many continuity errors did it have? 236 or something? That kind of spoiled it for me.

I don't think they should stop making horror movies. I do think they should get away from the slasher-flick as the only kind of horror movie on offer. Clearly, if even Bio's sister and her friends are complaining the movies suck... but they still go to them because there isn't anything else. I also think that it's time for the marketing department, with their little demographic charts, and other such-like suits to butt out of the creative process and let writers and directors make GOOD movies (of any genre) without having some accountant in pinstripes waving their ledgers and howling about "but the demographic wants more blood!"

Comment

Originally posted by TDWoj
                          Spawn was good, as well.
                          I agree with almost everything you said TD but Spawn was good?
                          Spawn was a piece of sh1t! Utter CRAP! There's a reason why McFarlane did not further his venture into live feature and prefered the anime way. The only good thing about Spawn (the movie) was the animated cape, imho.
                          Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"

Comment

Originally posted by DMNY
                            I agree with almost everything you said TD but Spawn was good?
                            Spawn was a piece of sh1t! Utter CRAP! There's a reason why McFarlane did not further his venture into live feature and prefered the anime way. The only good thing about Spawn (the movie) was the animated cape, imho.
                            I agree that the animated series is better, but only because this is the kind of thing that animation would actually do better than live-action. Spawn as live-action didn't work visually, but I liked the story. The fact that I will watch this movie on TV without switching channels during the commercials is what puts it above other films of its ilk.

Comment

Originally posted by TDWoj
                              I agree that the animated series is better, but only because this is the kind of thing that animation would actually do better than live-action. Spawn as live-action didn't work visually, but I liked the story. The fact that I will watch this movie on TV without switching channels during the commercials is what puts it above other films of its ilk.
                              You got it. The animated series is a beauty and one of the only N-A series I actually consider to be of any interest to me.
                              The movie itself is weak in every way but then again, you're talking to a comic fanboy.
                              Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"

Comment

Originally posted by DMNY
                                You got it. The animated series is a beauty and one of the only N-A series I actually consider to be of any interest to me.
                                The movie itself is weak in every way but then again, you're talking to a comic fanboy.
                                Well, there you are then. I never read the Spawn comics, so what I saw on-screen in the live action film I was quite happy with.

I was a Superman/Batman girl myself in the day (alas, for my comic book collection - my stepmother made me throw them all out when I was still in high school, having the "if you life under my roof you have to abide by my rules" threat hanging over my head) so it was with some trepidation that I went to see Superman. They camped it up a bit, but not enough to make me turn away from it. (I loved the scene where Clark is looking for a phone booth to switch identities and finds phone booths have changed somewhat in the years since he was away at the Fortress of Solitude.)

Batman was... amazing. I think I must have gone to see it at least half a dozen times at the theatre. The whole connection and interplay between the Joker and Batman... there was this whole psychology of sociopathic behaviour, two sides of the same coin... I was totally blown away. The perfect protagonist/antagonist pairing.

Getting back on topic, I don't remember the last film I saw that would qualify as a true horror movie (or what I would call a horror movie). Slasher pics just don't do it for me. Supernatural thrillers are a subgenre, but they don't inspire the creepy feeling I want to get out of a horror flick. The Lost Boys? Eh, that didn't inspire much more than a yawn. There was more horror in any one of the Buffy series on a weekly basis than in most movies calling themselves horror released over the duration of the series.

Aliens, maybe? The Hand that Rocks the Cradle? Dracula (the Coppola version with Frank Langella, not the more recent effort with Gary Oldman).

Hmm. I notice my examples are all more than 10 years old. Interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X