Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DB Weiss Takes Over "Halo"

DB Weiss has taken over scribe duties on Universal Pictures video game adaptation "Halo". Alex Garland, who's penned "The Beach", "28 Days Later" and the upcoming scifi thriller "Sunshine", penned the first draft which garnered him a $1 million dollar payday from Microsoft. There's still no director on the project which is of course being produced by Peter Jackson along with Mary Parent and Fran Walsh. Everyone involved are targeting the movie for a 2008 release.

Re: DB Weiss Takes Over "Halo"

One of my favorite games of all time (I dominate on capture the flag), but there has never been a decent video game movie.

Comment

Other than Master Chief never showing his face, I think there's a pretty big well of backstory to draw upon (the Fall of Reach particularly). Also I think the Covenant make a great enemy being that they are religious zealots who believe the only way to stop the Flood is to destroy the universe. I personally can't wait to see how this one turns out.

The big question is: If you were making the film would you give Master Chief a face? I think I would. He lacks personality in the game (without Cortana he may well be the most uninspired main character ever). How well would that translate to the big screen?

Comment

While the game is imo not worthy of its hype, it does have A GREAT POTENTIAL to be a great sci-fi movie.

Whispers have said Garland's screenplay is one of the best sci fi reads in a long time.

More rumours: Aus and NZ celeb watchers have been reporting on Denzel Washington being spotted in NZ during the past week.

Halo?

I doubt it, i don't think Denzel would take a role where we would never see his face, unless he's trying to better Hugo Weaving.

Comment

This project's daily burn rate is out pacing Heaven's Gate...

Comment

You mean Peter Weller, Mad R0

Comment

Originally posted by dclary
              You mean Peter Weller, Mad R0
              No i mean Hugo Weaving in 'V For Vendetta.'

Comment

I just want Halo 3

My 360 is laughing at the outdated crap that is Far Cry.
                Passion Fuels Passion

Comment

Trust me, Mad.... Weller will be remembered for Robocop LONG LONG after the last person remembers the utterly forgetable V is for Vomit.

Comment

the utterly forgetable V is for Vomit.
                    The what?

Comment

Well the last fictional icon brought to the big screen, who was made Legend by not showing his face, was Judge Dredd. We all know the respect that was treated with. Helmet off in the first 10 minutes of the film. Its just not workable to have a big star attached to a live action movie where you don't get to see anything of them and they are the only draw for that film. How do you have the actor do effective promotional work? Peter Weller never really hid his face in Robocop. He was visable for at least 1/3 of the screen time. I havn't seen V for Vendetta, but major props to Hugo Weaving if he agreed to do it. But even Hugo Weaving wasn't the "Star" that was promoting the movie, Natalie Portman was.
                      Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Trust me, Mad.... Weller will be remembered for Robocop LONG LONG after the last person remembers the utterly forgetable V is for Vomit.
                        Now i get what your saying D. But i was referring to the last movie a big (semi-big?) name actor played a role where we never get to see his face.

Also i didn't think V was THAT bad. I'm still going to buy the Dvd.

Comment

Well I doubt the audience for a Halo movie will care that Master Chief's face isn't seen. I mean thats just been part of the character so far. And of course as we all know from the original Halo thanks to a little glitch that under Master Chiefs helmet he has...another helmet.

You know how they could get some butts in the seats though? Just have the official Halo 3 game trailer before the movie. The teaser trailerfrom E3 was awesome!
                          Passion Fuels Passion

Comment

That teaser from E3 sends chills down my spine every time I watch it. I think it's the music - it's so epic.

As for the games, I guess I go against the grain because I liked playing as The Arbiter. His character was nicely done and David Keith's voice acting is some of the best I've ever heard.

If they're going with a faceless MC in the film, I don't think it would work unless the story revolved more around the Covenant and the division within their ranks. I'd like to see a helmetless MC being brought out of cryo at the beginning of the film having no idea what the hell is going on. Then he's told to go fight for a cause he knows nothing about because that's all he was designed to do. That's the one thing I never got from the games - MC questioning his role in the conflict and it's also why I liked the Arbiter. He was being pulled in different directions from the get-go.

Comment

the utterly forgetable V is for Vomit.

You're exaggerating. V For Vendetta was not as bad as you let it sound to be.
                              I do agree Wellers' Robocop will be remembered more than Weaving's V.
                              So there, people won't say I am completely bias.
                              A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
                              Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
                              Money is better than compliments.

Comment

Working...
                              X