Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Look Now (possible spoilers)

Anyone want to take a shot at who the antagonist is?

Re: Don't Look Now (possible spoilers)

Um, the clue's in the red raincoat.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Schuster
      Um, the clue's in the red raincoat.
      Are you saying the damn dwarf is the antagonist?

Comment

The dwarf isn't the only character who wears a red raincoat.

Comment

Man, I must be an idiot. The daughter being an antagonist doesn't seem right, and I don't remember anyone other then the daughter and the nasty ass dwarf in raincoats, red. I should have ate my wheaties.

PS - I'm not a moron, Jake... really, I'm not!

I guess I should go watch this b!tch again...

Comment

Sutherland and Christie go to Venice both so he can work on restoring the church and they can work on possibly patching up a marriage shattered by the tragic--and avoidable--death of their daughter. Christie is obsessed with making peace with the spirit of her little girl, while Sutherland just wants to move on. But he, too, is haunted.

Whether the antagonist is the dwarf or the memory of the daughter that stalks them through the empty back streets of Venice, their ultimate antagonist is really death itself.

If you're interested in reading more on this fascinating film, I recommend the British Film Institute's paperback study of it, by Mark Sanderson, or Joe Lanza's excellent Fragile Geometry, on the films of Nic Roeg. The latter is out of print, but used copies can be found on abebooks.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Schuster
              Sutherland and Christie go to Venice both so he can work on restoring the church and they can work on possibly patching up a marriage shattered by the tragic--and avoidable--death of their daughter. Christie is obsessed with making peace with the spirit of her little girl, while Sutherland just wants to move on. But he, too, is haunted.

Whether the antagonist is the dwarf or the memory of the daughter that stalks them through the empty back streets of Venice, their ultimate antagonist is really death itself.

If you're interested in reading more on this fascinating film, I recommend the British Film Institute's paperback study of it, by Mark Sanderson, or Joe Lanza's excellent Fragile Geometry, on the films of Nic Roeg. The latter is out of print, but used copies can be found on abebooks.com.
              See, that's what was throwing me off, when you mentioned the red coat. I was thinking the antagonist was something more abstract. Death itself makes sense. I understood the movie for what it was, I was just reading some past threads in the craft sections about having clear cut antagonists and such and wondered at the chances of getting something like this read. I could imagine if I were to post something very similar, people would complain about the insubstantial antagonist. Roeg can get away with it though, most definitely.

Thanks for the reading suggestions, I'll check them out.

Comment

Working...
              X