No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Full trailer of Darren Aronofosky's 'The Fountain'

Originally posted by Biohazard
    Sorry if I don't enjoy seeing countless ignorant teenagers listing Batman Begins, Sin City, Donnie Darko, V for Vendetta and Kill Bill as 5 of the greatest movies ever made. You mention something like Marathon Man or Dog Day Afternoon and they'll look at you like you have two heads. It's disgusting.

Want to know what my level of standard is? I'll give you a hint: masterpiece films died with Stanley Kubrick in 1999. There's plenty of movies made since 2000 that are great, but nothing nearly as great as those from the 90's, 80's, 70's, 60's, and 50's.

Is Requiem overrated? Yes. I'd call it a good movie, but that's as far as I'll go. One movie from the same year that I feel is underrated is Quills.
    I understand your frustration Bio, trust me. I'm a manager at a multiplex; and i get to see everyday brainless teenagers and what movies they choose to see.

You want to know what sold out last night; 2 sessions of a cinema with a 265 capacity?

Little Man.

It makes me sick -- but i know not all of them; maybe the majority, is like that.

I'm 24 years old. Far from being a teen, Yet i've seen films from Bergman, Hitchcock, Antonioni, Welles, and countless other so called 'masters'. These are people and whose films are way past my birth date. What people do you hang around/do you read/ or who do you speak to get lists like and comments like: "Batman Begins iZ tEh BeSt FilM EvaR!"

I try to stay away from these people, and surround myself with people who have an appreciation for cinema.

Comment

none of my friends like anything older than star wars. so what? can't force people to like what you like. why would you want to?
      "everything a writer learns about the art and craft of fiction takes just a little away from his need or desire to write at all. in the end he knows all the tricks and has nothing to say."

Comment

Beautiful woman enunciates:
        "Take this ring. It is a symbol of your pledge to find the Elixir of Immortality."
        Narrator intones:
        "Our bodies are prisons for our souls. All flesh decays. Death turns all to ash. And thus death frees every soul."
        If you ask me, this is pompous kid stuff.

Comment

Over-rated =
          Originally posted by Biohazard
          Not nearly as good as everyone thinks it is.
          ???

Hmmm. Tough issue, that one. If people like it ... they like it.

It'd be hard to call "the most popular, most-liked movie ever" over-rated. It achieved popularity, which is what most movies aim for.

Over-rated by critics, yeah, I can see that, because critics can't just say "hey, darn it, I just LIKE this movie" ... Critics have to build a case on technical aesthetics or "importance to the Art" etc ...

Probably many of us would aim to be highly liked by the viewers, rather than be highly 'rated' by those who deal in THAT.
          sigpic
          "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
          that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
          -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

What if you could live forever? I imagine most people would get bored senseless.

It looks okay, but don't know what everyone is getting so excited about.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack Sparrow
              What if you could live forever? I imagine most people would get bored senseless.

It looks okay, but don't know what everyone is getting so excited about.
              'You've obviously never been to Singapore.'
              sigpic
              "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
              that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
              -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Working...
              X