Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mysterious Career Of John Hughes

Most writers who get their chance to direct and find out their good at it, usually continue to direct their own movies or others.

John Hughes though seems to be the exception.

Directorial debut is Sixteen Candles. Great movie. He follows that up with The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off...three more great movies from the 80's.

The last movie he directs is Curly Sue in 1991. He then gives up directing and goes back to just writing screenplays.

WTF?

I can't ever remember anyone who had such success as a director and then gave it up to do something else in Hollywood.

Re: The Mysterious Career Of John Hughes

and planes, trains and automobiles, one of my favourite movies. he has basically written dreck since that run of movies. guess he just wanted to cash in.
    "everything a writer learns about the art and craft of fiction takes just a little away from his need or desire to write at all. in the end he knows all the tricks and has nothing to say."

Comment

I've never seen Curley Sue ... but those other movies were a pretty amazing run. What dreck has he done since?
      sigpic
      "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
      that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
      -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Originally posted by Pencey
        The last movie he directs is Curly Sue in 1991. He then gives up directing and goes back to just writing screenplays.

WTF?

I can't ever remember anyone who had such success as a director and then gave it up to do something else in Hollywood.
        It's not like he went off and started selling storm windows.

He produced stuff he wrote. The guy had, or has (maybe) an amazing career. He was like Woody Allen for a long time. Meaning, he could do anything he wanted, and live where he wanted (Chicago).

We should all be so lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by tabula rasa
          I've never seen Curley Sue ... but those other movies were a pretty amazing run. What dreck has he done since?
          MAID IN MANHATTAN, which he subsequently took his name off....

Comment

Not much of a "mystery."

The dude doesn't like directing, in other words, constantly making decisions until your brain starts to seep grey matter out your ears. Writing is a simpler life, where you can sleep at night like the carefree sleep of young children.

Why he wrote Flubber is a mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by Republic of Stephen
              Not much of a "mystery."

The dude doesn't like directing...
              And it took him 8 films in 7 years to come to this conclusion?

You may be right but it's odd to say the least. I really wish he'd come back and do another movie but he's probably making bank just writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pencey
                And it took him 8 films in 7 years to come to this conclusion?
                I wouldn't call it a conclusion, more like he had grown to dislike it.

Comment

Don't forget Pretty in Pink. Man, I love that movie.

Comment

Working...
                  X