Why isn't anybody talking about My Super Ex-Girlfriend bombing?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why isn't anybody talking about My Super Ex-Girlfriend bombing?

Originally posted by Mac H.
    Somehow, violence towards ex-boyfriends is acceptable to audiences, but violence towards ex-girlfriends isn't.

Mac

Because violence towards boyfriends/husbands hardly ever happens. (Or that's the perception.) But the other way around... Well, that's too common, too pervasive and all too tragic. The idea, I'm guessing, was that the absurdity was enough of a stretch that no one would actually have to worry about it happening in real life. Not to say I think it's funny. Even the trailer looked stupid. But that's my guess as to where their collective heads were when the film got up.

My writing partner wrote a domesticated super hero novel (Confessions of Supermom) that I'm convinced will make a much better film because rather than make the superhero issue the centre of her struggle, the real struggle is just being a mum. It's hard enough to be a single mum to growing teens, but throw in the discovery of super powers and her total lack of understanding how and what she's supposed to do with them... It's a funny, smart and really powerful satire. (And yes, she recently sold film rights. And the novel sequel is due out soon.) The paperback is out on shelves now! (Sorry, but I had to throw that in.)
    sigpic

Website
    Tweets
    Book

Comment

Man that's good news Nic h. Is the novel available in all bookstores?

Comment

Originally posted by Mac H.
        Somehow, violence towards ex-boyfriends is acceptable to audiences, but violence towards ex-girlfriends isn't.

Mac
        You're not saying you have a problem with that, are you? The latter will always be less acceptable because the male is the aggressive gender. Then again there's always Mr and Mrs Smith for ya.
        "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
        - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy
          This premise was bound to turn off female audiences, on which romantic comedies are depedent. Why would a girl want to see a movie about how horrible ex-girlfriends are? Why would guys want to see that either?
          Yeah, and "My Super Hero Girlfriend" might have been a much bigger draw, thus putting the female in the dominant position of the relationship, the guy figuring out where he fits in, and without all the stalking ex-GF baggage.

But then again, it wouldn't have been as easy to pitch as a pissed-off super-strong Ex on the warpath, but I think it would have made a better rom-com.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Unidos
            Ivan Reitman, like Rob Reiner, continued making 80's movies well into the 90's. Eventually, the audiences caught on. Reitman is painfully out-of-touch with what today's audiences want. Moreover, he was never a 'niche' guy like Woody Allen who's audience will stay with him (more or less) --he was a guy that captivated the fickle popular audience by captured the zeitgeist of a certain time period but continues making the same films even after the zeitgeist has drastically changed, and the tastes of the popular audience with it.
            This summarizes Reitman's (and Reiner's) career in a nutshell.
            I want to be your assistant!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5j0uw35iho

Comment

Working...
            X