No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Wanted: More family film fare"

I came across this yesterday:

"TV and the high price of an excursion to the movies are not the only reasons for the drop in movie audiences. The booking practices of the industry are at fault. With the advent of the "new realism" of seamy novels and plays, it is difficult to find a bill suitable for children.

"In catering to the young adult set (most regular fans are young and single, wiht a median age 16 to 24), Hollywood is limiting the appeal of it sproduct. It is time for the industry to consider "family theaters" where something besides violence, sadism and sex are on view. It's too late to ask for the return of the 50-cent show or 10-cent popcorn. But is it too late to reserve without qualms a row of seats for Mom, Dad and the kids?"

I found this in an old Reader's Digest.

Date? December, 1968.

Plus ça change, plus ça meme chose, eh.

Re: "Wanted: More family film fare"

return of the 50-cent show. heeheehee. he was around back then?
    "everything a writer learns about the art and craft of fiction takes just a little away from his need or desire to write at all. in the end he knows all the tricks and has nothing to say."

Comment

Last time I checked, the only demo's that were served by studio pictures were families and men 16-24.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Unidos
        Last time I checked, the only demo's that were served by studio pictures were families and men 16-24.
        well it came out in 68, so i guess it was a kneejerk reaction to all the motorbike and drug movies.
        "everything a writer learns about the art and craft of fiction takes just a little away from his need or desire to write at all. in the end he knows all the tricks and has nothing to say."

Comment

Time frame of the article aside, I think we need just the opposite. We need more intelligent movies that transcend age/race/gender/whatever demographics.
          Passion Fuels Passion

Comment

If Hollywood producers really were in to films just to make money, then they'd only be making family films (G, PG, PG-13) which have out-grossed R-rated movies for years (sans The Passion of the Christ).

Comment

Silly movie producers....they think sex sells. Jesus sells MORE
              Passion Fuels Passion

Comment

how about jesus having sex? gold mine.

Comment

I'm missing the point of this thread

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by yvonnjanae
                    I'm missing the point of this thread
                    There's been a lot of, um, comment about the kinds of movies being made that seem to be made purely for the demographic and that they are without any kind of merit to them, other than for the purely money making aspect of them.

I found it amusing that similar sentiments were expressed nearly 40 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by TDWoj
                      There's been a lot of, um, comment about the kinds of movies being made that seem to be made purely for the demographic and that they are without any kind of merit to them, other than for the purely money making aspect of them.

I found it amusing that similar sentiments were expressed nearly 40 years ago.
                      That's the thing about reactionaries. They don't change much.
                      "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you"
                      "If I didn't have inner peace I'd totally go psycho on you guys all the time." - Carl Carlson

Comment

Working...
                      X