What ever happened to..........................?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What ever happened to..........................?

twobit,
    I honestly think there is a disconnect between what women want and what they are offered. When movie execs easily create fun, upbeat movies for the aging guys who are still youthful in their outlook ("The 40 Year Old Virgin" "Old School" "Ocean's Eleven") They don't offer anything of the sort to women in that same age range other than schlocky love stories -- that one where the woman buys a house in Tuscany and the one with Kevin Costner and the woman from "Nixon" -- sorry, I'm too lazy to look the titles up right now.

I don't know any women in their 30s and 40s who find those kind of stories compelling.

Maybe if they'd let some of us on DD slip in with some scripts about a hot woman detective on the search for a serial killer or a comedy about a woman who exacts revenge on her office co-workers for calling her loose -- when she really is loose -- maybe they'd get a few more audience members to those films starring older females.

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb

Comment

who wants to watch a bunch of old ladies shuffle around the screen talking about menopause? you've got golden girls for that, what more do you want?
      "everything a writer learns about the art and craft of fiction takes just a little away from his need or desire to write at all. in the end he knows all the tricks and has nothing to say."

Comment

I heard Kelly McGillis was running a diner in Key West.

Comment

Originally posted by georgelondon
          I heard Kelly McGillis was running a diner in Key West.
          I think was "doing a run on the whole menu at a diner in Key West".

Comment

What ever happened to Kelly Lynch? Good actress. Don't know what happened.
            "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
            - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by prince pantyhose
              who wants to watch a bunch of old ladies shuffle around the screen talking about menopause? you've got golden girls for that, what more do you want?

Who, PP?

The same number of folks who don't want to watch a bunch of aging men talk about their erectile dysfunction (dead dick syndrome) and the fact that they can only get it up with younger women.

What more do I want? I want drama, dammit!!

Writers write to be read, right?

Comment

The Ya-Ya Brotherhood would a great title for a film about men with E.D.

Grumpy Old Men was actually on TCM last night.

Uh-oh...post count at 666.
                http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/7...anflamesu1.gif
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by prince pantyhose
                  And yet, Golden Girls was a successful show. And another very successful show with an old lady was Murder, She Wrote. And don't forget the Miss Marple series by Granada. Come to think of it, the Brits have a lot of shows with and starring old ladies. I think, though, that's because British actresses actually allow themselves to age instead of trying to facelift themselves back to youth.

In fact, it's a pleasure to watch actresses 50+ because they have one quality the young 'uns don't have - they can actually act.

Comment

Helen Mirren is still a great actress.
                    Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Which brings up the question...how many people actually write a script featuring a middle-or-older aged woman as a protag...that is, one that wouldn't fit nicely on The Lifetime Channel?

It'd be fun to see Kathleen Turner take a shot at the V. I. Warshawski character again. That didn't play as parody about old dicks.
                      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Yeah, that really bummed me out. I saw what they did - they took elements from three or four of the novels, smushed them all together and said, "look! here's a script!" - when there's usually too much material in even ONE novel to put on screen.

They did the same thing when Angela Lansbury did Mrs. Pollifax. Angela Lansbury is the ONLY person who could have done Mrs. Pollifax; if they'd done it right, they could have made a tv-movie franchise of it, but, again, the scriptwriters smushed together several of the novels and the result was a mess.

And I expect that there are scripts written with middle-aged and older lady protags in them but the heid yins of HWood won't give them a second look for just exactly that reason - because the protag is a middle-aged or older lady.

Comment

@ everyone.
                          "everything a writer learns about the art and craft of fiction takes just a little away from his need or desire to write at all. in the end he knows all the tricks and has nothing to say."

Comment

Working...
                          X