Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's a bomb

I'd keep my eye on worldwide BO...The Island only pulled down 35M domestically, but went on to rack up another 124M internationally. I see this puppy having good international play.

I saw it, I liked it...and I think it'll have some good word of mouth. I held off seeing it until a Sunday matinee because I didn't feel like sitting in a theatre full of knobs yelling "$%^&* snakes!" every few minutes. I'm sure other folks are doing the same.
    Last edited by billmarq; 08-21-2006, 11:01 PM.
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30
      I held off seeing it until a Sunday matinee because I didn't feel like sitting in a theatre full of knobs yelling "$%^&* snakes!" every few minutes. I'm sure other folks are doing the same.
      Exactly. I mean seriously, this just looks like some good summer popcorn fun, but as I was worried about a possible ROCKY HORROR environment, complete with a-holes yelling out stuff that had already been leaked on the Internet, I'm waiting until DVD.
      Last edited by billmarq; 08-21-2006, 11:01 PM.
      Goonies never say die!

Comment

I really wish more people had gone to see SOAP, because them MIAMI VICE wouldn't have been sold out when I tried to see it this evening.
        Last edited by billmarq; 08-21-2006, 12:36 AM.
        http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

It was at Union Square in Manhattan ...
          Last edited by billmarq; 08-21-2006, 12:37 AM.
          http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Originally posted by BestWriterEver
            You think a movie that makes fifteen million opening weekend will make eighty to one hundred million dollars at the box office?

How about we bet one hundred million dollars that it doesn't?
            How about we bet one hundred million dollars that nowhere in Vig's post did he say that Snakes on a Plane would make "eighty to one hundred million dollars at the box office."

He said, "after it's all said and done," which could mean (and I would think it does mean) domestic gross, international gross, and DVD/rental gross (not to mention PPV and cable). Which would be...you know..."after it's all said and done."
            Last edited by billmarq; 08-21-2006, 12:38 AM.
            "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

I must say I was a little stunned by the the low gross. Thought it was a glitch. I think the premise and feel seemed so cheesy that people finally said "I'll wait for the DVD". I also think Will Smith in lead role might have made a significant difference.

Perhaps the film did itself in by proclaiming itself to be the next big cult classic. Cult classics don't do 35 mill the first week. Should do well on DVD esp. if it's loaded.
              Last edited by billmarq; 08-21-2006, 12:39 AM.
              "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
              -Maya Angelou

Comment

They should have released this months ago.

Comment

With this and this year's earlier "Slither", one could argue that audiences overall aren't too interested in campy and slapstick-type horror. I can't disagree.

Comment

The audience that I saw this film seemed to have a great time except that they were laughing at the movie, not with it.

Comment

I saw this weekend in London and let me tell you, sitting in that audience, it was one of those films that made me proud to be an American ( ).

Comment

Wow, just got back from a resort weekend, and all I can say is... only 15 million?

While not an official "bomb", it must be a HUGE disappointment to the studio and their PR firm. With the kind of hype and numbers they were throwing around, $15 mill is like a slap on the wrist.

In addition to all the reasons outlined, I also think that SOAP was hoisted up as the "poster child" for non-previewed movies. I read 3 separate front-page articles in last week's papers slamming and critiquing SOAP for not allowing reviewers access. A lot of pent-up aggression there that came billowing out, and that kind of overt negativism was far more powerful than a bad review ever could be.

In fact, I think a lot of bad reviews would have helped the movie.

Comment

bestever is so funny.

snakes will be in every cult collectors draw. it's one of those movies that you buy for snake haters as gag jokes. that kind of thing.

people are no doubt making money from it. also, the problem is people hate snakes. people hate plane crashes but snakes are a little different.

the snake factor is what some people would call the big lefty from oakland who could sling a football ten miles.

vig

Comment

Working...
                          X