Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scariest Movie You've Ever Seen...

What has honestly freaked you out the most when seeing (and hopefully you were still freaked afterwards as well)?

I'm not sure right now, since (unfortunately) I'm not scared by a lot of horror films anymore, but I'll say one that only semi counts... "It." However, this is only because I was scared of clowns when I was younger and first saw the movie on TV when I was only 5 years old. I saw it again at like 13 and wasn't nearly as scared and now it's kinda eh.

I personally don't enjoy older horror movies, the effects kill 'em... even the really well done ones. It could just be me though, but when there isn't anythin realistic about the movie or it's kinda cheesy, I am just not scared anymore.

That could just be me though... I dunno.

Re: Scariest Movie You've Ever Seen...

The Shining scared the crap outta me first time I saw it. Of course, I'm easily frightened by small children.
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you"
    "If I didn't have inner peace I'd totally go psycho on you guys all the time." - Carl Carlson

Comment

Jacob's Ladder. . . you wanna talk about fVcked up, watch that.
      Smile Is Best Makeup!

-A Grammatically Incorrect Japanese Proverb

Comment

It was a very old flick on TV, really old, B&W old - I was babysitting my little brother. I think the title was: Doctor Sardonicus

The last act scared the hell out of me but the last reveal - the guy's twisted weird face - was really shocking. And my little brother was terrified. He didn't want to go to bed convinced the good doctor was in there waiting for him.

Now, our cat had had kittens a couple of weeks earlier. So I went and scooped them all up in a blanket and ste them on his lap. Kittens broke the tension, all cute and innocent - we played with them awhile and he relaxed enough to go to his room to sleep.
        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

well, if you mean seeing something horrifying and stomach turning that stayed with me for days and nights afterward it would be IRREVERSIBLE
          If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed. -- Stanley Kubrick

Comment

Originally posted by cluckyburger
            well, if you mean seeing something horrifying and stomach turning that stayed with me for days and nights afterward it would be IRREVERSIBLE
            I always hear about this movie but have no clue what its about. . .
            Smile Is Best Makeup!

-A Grammatically Incorrect Japanese Proverb

Comment

THE SHINING and SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wegmann
                I always hear about this movie but have no clue what its about. . .
                Rent it.
                http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

The Vanishing, the Dutch version with subtitles. The ending creeped me out, couldn't sleep that night. The Hollywood remake is a dud though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildgrace
                    The Vanishing, the Dutch version with subtitles. The ending creeped me out, couldn't sleep that night. The Hollywood remake is a dud though.
                    I agree - Dutch film was paced perfectly, American remake was ...blah.
                    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Definitely gotta agree with The Shining, some freaky stuff in there.

Dunno about Silence of the Lambs though, that's more of a thriller (think it might even be classified as one... ?), but this is all opinions so there is no right or wrong. I wasn't personally scared by the movie though, just entertained and freaked out, but not in the "holy **** I can't sleep tonight" sense... more in the "holy **** this kinda fvcked up" sense. Could just be me though.

The Ring freaked me out the night I saw it when I walked home in the dark about 1 mile... it blew. I see the movie and enjoyed it, but not too creepy or anything (I think the film was overrated), but good. However, I had to head home around 2 AM and it was one of the rare nights I had to walk (forget what was up with my car) home and it was a mile and the streets were empty and fairly dark with the streetlights being so spread apart. I kept imagining the girl with her hair over her face standing underneath a distance streetlight. It was really effin' with me!

Actually, Gothika did something similar to me. The part where Halle Berry sees the ghost in the middle of the road appear and cause her to crash. I'm always imagining that type of thing when I'm driving home late at night sometimes... but that movie wasn't scary though.

Comment

Most scared I've ever been?

I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF. Saw this Michael Landon vehicle when I was 5 years old. Nearly pissed myself in fear.

JAWS. Scared me without even seeing it when my mother wouldn't let me go into the ocean on our annual trip to Cape Cod, because she's just seen the movie.

KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS. First R rated movie I ever saw in a theater. William Shatner fights a turantula invasion.

MANHUNTER. Caught this Michael Mann thriller on HBO latenight when I was in high school. I was home alone for the weekend. The movie's about a guy who studies families before he kills them. In their homes. Didn't sleep well that night.

SILENCE OF THE LAMBS. I've never been so glad to walk out of a theater when it's still daylight.

BLAIR WITCH PROJECT. I saw it the day it opened and allowed myself to believe the marketing campaign that it was actually found footage. It's amazing what your mind can do to you when you force yourself to believe something.
                        http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

The only horror movies I remember scaring me are from when I was a little kid, but I don't know if that's because I was easily scared then or because those movies were actually really scary. "Poltergeist" is the only movie that scared me so badly I couldn't sleep and had to go into my parents' room. Of course, I was ten when I saw it, so there you go.

There was also a super-creepy TV movie when I was pretty young called "Don't Go to Sleep." Little girl gets killed, is really pissed about it, and comes back as a ghost to take out the whole family. As you might guess, it did have its moments of camp, but it was also geniunely scary. That was one evil, angry, little girl ghost. I was probably about ten for that one, too.

My boyfriend my senior year of high school used to get really mad when horror movies didn't scare me. I don't know if he thought it made me unfeminine or he was just embarassed to be the only one in the room screaming like a seven-year-old girl. All I know is, I laughed at the scene in "The Omen" when all the dogs show up (I said, "Look, it's 101 Dalmations from Hell!'), and it really, really bothered him. A lot.
                          The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Comment

The Corporation.

Comment

John Carpenter's The Thing was probably the scariest horror film I recall seeing, but in a good way. On the other hand, Cannibal Holocaust (the film The Blair Witch Project lifted its premise from) wasn't particularly scary, but was the most literal horror film I've ever seen. Despite being a huge buff of the genre, I couldn't bring myself to watch another horror film for about six months after.

One of these days, I'm gonna have to watch it again and break down the elements that made it so damned effective. Part of it is the incongrously melancholy soundtrack, but a lot of it is the meta-subtext...if you make it to the final credits, it seems like a very dubious achievement.
                              "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
                              X