• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non Horror Movies That Scared You

What Were They?
    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
    -Maya Angelou

Re: Non Horror Movies That Scared You

Well, the hypodermic scene in Pulp Fiction had me crawling all over my theatre seat like no horror film has evah done...
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Certainly George Sluizer's original Dutch/French "The Vanishing" , based on the Dutchman Tim Krabbé's excellent novel, is by far the most unsettling movie I've ever seen, and I've seen it at least six times. Close to being a perfect film.

But very, very disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Schuster
        Certainly George Sluizer's original Dutch/French "The Vanishing" , based on the Dutchman Tim Krabbé's excellent novel, is by far the most unsettling movie I've ever seen, and I've seen it at least six times. Close to being a perfect film.

But very, very disturbing.
        I agree with everything, except the point that it's not a horror film. It treads the thin line of horror and psychological thriller, and could easily fall on either side. I'd argue that it's too close for comparison, but even closer to being a perfect film.

In reply to the original topic:

At least two or three scenes of Saving Private Ryan even made ME uncomfortable, and that almost never happens. Not just one scene...two or three.

Comment

Right, because this thread is about non-horror films, right? And "The Vanishing" is a psychological thriller.

Comment

Right, because this thread is about non-horror films, right? And "The Vanishing" is a psychological thriller.
            Like I said, it could go either way...horror or thriller. Same with Les Diaboliques in my own personal view.

Comment

I would think horror has to have as an element either an outside element (monster, vampire, zombie, whatever) introduced, or at least the transformation of what is normal into what isn't normal through some extra-normal force.

Both "Diabolique" and "The Vanishing" are about people dealing with people--diabolically, yes--but they're still people in the grips of their own private passions screwing with other people's minds. Hence, psychological thrillers.

Comment

I would think horror has to have as an element either an outside element (monster, vampire, zombie, whatever) introduced, or at least the transformation of what is normal into what isn't normal through some extra-normal force.

Both "Diabolique" and "The Vanishing" are about people dealing with people--diabolically, yes--but they're still people in the grips of their own private passions screwing with other people's minds. Hence, psychological thrillers.
                That's a good explanation, but how does mental instability factor into that theory? The main antagonist in The Vanishing is not a monster or zombie, but a human. It's his mind that makes him different from other humans, like Norman Bates from Psycho. How far into the realm of psychotic does the mind have to go before making the jump from psychological thriller to horror?

The villians in the Texas Chain Saw Massacre are people with major psychological problems, and I don't think anybody would consider that film to be anything other than horror.

Comment

Syriana.
                  Smile Is Best Makeup!

-A Grammatically Incorrect Japanese Proverb

Comment

The Perils of Gwendylin in the Land of Yik Yak was so bad it was scary.

Comment

I remember as a kid being totally spooked by that scene in
                      To Kill a Mockingbird when the little girl is walking in some
                      woods at night encumbered by the Halloween costume she
                      is wearing.

That scene still spooks the hell out of me.
                      myhomeconvalesceblog

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard
                        That's a good explanation, but how does mental instability factor into that theory? The main antagonist in The Vanishing is not a monster or zombie, but a human. It's his mind that makes him different from other humans, like Norman Bates from Psycho. How far into the realm of psychotic does the mind have to go before making the jump from psychological thriller to horror?

The villians in the Texas Chain Saw Massacre are people with major psychological problems, and I don't think anybody would consider that film to be anything other than horror.
                        The bad guy in "The Vanishing" was, as you'll remember, a scientist, a professor of chemistry who prided himself on his use of logic and observation. Everything that he did was an experiment. Horrible stuff, yes, but I'm not sure I'd personally put this in the horror genre.

Comment

I don't know if scared would be the right word, but I watched a short film that was supposed to be a comedy, "Samuel de Mango," and it so disturbed me that I almost can't eat a mango.

Comment

The Parallax View -- from just a paranoia perspective.
                            "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                            - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by J off course
                              I remember as a kid being totally spooked by that scene in
                              To Kill a Mockingbird when the little girl is walking in some
                              woods at night encumbered by the Halloween costume she
                              is wearing.

That scene still spooks the hell out of me.
                              Good call.

Robert Duvall standing behind the door creeped me out, too.

I remember going to watch GHOSTBUSTERS when I was a kid, and seeing some popcorn fly when the Librarian Ghost lunged toward the camera. That got some people pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                              X