Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Biohazard -- Episode IV DVD?

Sorry, but I am not hijacking your thread.

You injected the bootlegging issue first.

In fact, the premise of this thread, seems less a discussion about the new STAR WARS dvd's in general and more about if the discs are worth purchasing in light of the fact that you already have a good bootleg copy.

No personal offense to you, dude. Just that bragging about bootlegging against the industry doesn't sit well with me.

Comment

Okay, I can't ignore that.

Give me a pissing break. I asked Bio how the DVD of the original Star Wars was, then later mentioned that I have DVDs that were made by a friend from the Laserdiscs -- and you characterize the whole thread as being about me "bragging" because I have DVD copies of the Laserdiscs?

If that is not a deeply tortured attempt to justify a thread hijack, then I don't know what is. You're just a troll who does not want to admit he is trolling.

And, yes. I just took your stale bait. I never said that I was not a schmuck.

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
      It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
      -- Potter Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by haunted
        -- and you characterize the whole thread as being about me "bragging" because I have DVD copies of the Laserdiscs?
        Incorrect, buddy.

I said the thread seemed "more about if the discs are worth purchasing in light of the fact that you already have a good bootleg copy."

Comment

Originally posted by RKBentley
          Respect is kicked to the curb when it comes to Lucas's narrow mindness. Never have I seen someone's absolute hatred of something they've created push them to "fix" it and make money off of the fix.
          I agree 100%. I'm as straight an arrow as they come, and never ever pirate stuff, but even I have a few WS/anamorphic LD transfers of DVDs of the Star Wars trilogy.

Then again, I own the LDs too.

Comment

Oh, I see. I have you all wrong, TB. You did not use the word "bragging" at all. Oh wait, yes you did.

I got the information I wanted from this thread in the first couple of replies. You want the rest of it, it's yours. Do with it what you will.

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
            It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
            -- Potter Stewart

Comment

The fact that I used the word does not mean your comment was correct.

Read it again and see where you went wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by RKBentley
                Respect is kicked to the curb when it comes to Lucas's narrow mindness. Never have I seen someone's absolute hatred of something they've created push them to "fix" it and make money off of the fix.
                Exactly. Lucas said the original trilogy was dead to him, so why should he care?

I download music all the time...to listen to it and make a decision before spending money on it. If it sounds great, I'll buy it. If it sounds like crap, I'll delete it. The only reason a band would complain about people doing that is if they sucked (i.e. new Metallica). Plus, a lot of the music I listen to is hard to find, and I'm not paying upwards of $40 for an import if the label doesn't have the decency to release it in my country. I couldn't listen to it legally even if I wanted to.

I have a lot of burned cds, too. Some of which I can't find in stores or are out of print, other simply aren't good enough. Why would anybody willingly pay money for something that is below standard quality, music, film or otherwise? I hardly went to the theater this year because it seemed as though every movie sucked.

You can drive a car before buying it, you can wear clothes before buying them...why shoudn't you be allowed to download music and hear that before buying it?

I respect intellectual property rights, so long as the quality of said property is high enough. There's a lot of bands whose albums I download first to listen to. Why? Because the music I heard from these bands simply isn't good enough for me to buy outright and blind. They don't respect their audience by putting out a cheap product, then I don't respect them enough to buy their cheap product. I also don't go to see bad movies in the theater (at least ones which I know will suck). It's survival of the fittest.

I have over 6,000 mp3s on this computer...but I don't see the police knocking my door down. Maybe it's because I own almost 500 dvds and even more cds. Why shouldn't the consumer be allowed to sample the product and see if it's right for them before paying for it?

I don't download movies, however. Two main reasons: I don't like waiting a day or so for it to finish, and I don't like watching anything on my computer that lasts over 10 minutes. That's what the TV is for. Also, because I don't want to steal from someone who has accomplished what I am trying to do. I wouldn't want someone getting the product of my hard work for free, as long as I don't lose any money if they do. If it doesn't affect me, then go ahead and enjoy it. At least people are taking interest...something Lucas fails to see and capitalize on, because of his own personal feelings.

George Lucas is not showing his audience any respect at all. The man simply does not understand the concept of supply and demand. Everyone wants what he doesn't like, so he gives us all something he likes but we don't. Steal from him all you want...might do him some good. He just might give people what they want.

Yeah right. We'll have the technology to build a real Death Star before that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard
                  You can drive a car before buying it, you can wear clothes before buying them...why shoudn't you be allowed to download music and hear that before buying it?
                  Record stores have listening stations.

Most acts and record companies preview their work on their websites.

And you can preview music on iTunes, Amazon.com and other online retailers.

Do you really need to steal it?

I respect intellectual property rights, so long as the quality of said property is high enough.
                  This isn't even remotely acceptable.

I don't download movies, however... I don't want to steal from someone who has accomplished what I am trying to do. I wouldn't want someone getting the product of my hard work for free, as long as I don't lose any money if they do. If it doesn't affect me, then go ahead and enjoy it.
                  You only condone stealing from the other guy?

Comment

Originally posted by TwoBitHack
                    1 - Record stores have listening stations.
                    Most acts and record companies preview their work on their websites.
                    And you can preview music on iTunes, Amazon.com and other online retailers.
                    Do you really need to steal it?

2 - This isn't even remotely acceptable.

3 - You only condone stealing from the other guy?
                    1 - The only one in my area that has a listening station is FYE (where you can scan the barcode), and they don't carry a lot of what I listen to. A local chain does, but their listening stations only have mainstream music. I don't want to listen to that stuff for free, legal or not.

Some of the bands I listen to have previews of their new albums (Falconer, Blind Guardian, Savage Circus, etc.) but a lot of bands don't. Plus, they live off of internet downloading. It's the public's primary method of discovery for bands like that. They get absolutely no mainstream exposure, no tv commercials, no radio spots or radio airplay (apart from college stations). If it wasn't for people downloading their music, they would be completely unknown instead of only partially unknown. In fact, I've seen some up-and-coming bands live where they literally GAVE AWAY cd-rs with their songs on them.

What is killing the large shltty acts, the unknown bands are using to survive. They are not losing money, they are gaining fans. Only mainstream garbage is suffering, and who literally cares? They'll be forgotten in 5 years anyway, just like all the "artists" who were on pop radio in 2000.

2 - Why not? Put out crap and I won't buy it. Period. Number three...

3 - I said I don't download movies. Those were the first 4 words of that quoted passage, in case you forgot. What I implied is that if someone was getting my product for free and I wasn't suffering at all because of it, I would at least be happy that people are enjoying it.

Comment

In your own post, you described downloading movies as stealing.

I think that says it all.

Comment

I agree with TwoBit 100% on this one. Piracy is piracy, no matter how it is justified. Someone built a product, and if you have a copy of that product, one which you did not purchase, then the whole line of people involved in the production of that product are getting hurt.

From the basic economics side of it, it isn't like Lucas is in his basement making DVDs. He gets a royalty, while the vast majority of the money from the sale of a DVD goes to all the other people and companies involved in the production. Stealing a copy of a Star Wars DVD isn't going to make a dent on Lucas, but the software designers, the graphic designers, the distributors, the printers, and so on, those guys will get dented.
                        Don't repeat it; create it.

Comment

Working...
                        X