Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Graduate -- and montages

Although this is one of my all-time favorites and I've probably seen it 100 times, I watched it again last night and a fresh thought hit me: There are probably at least 15 to 20 minutes of montages in the movie -- of course accompanied by Simon and Garfunkel songs. Not a problem, but I just never thought about it before in those terms. Can anyone think of any other film with so many montages? I think Butch Cassidy has to be right up there. Any others?

Re: The Graduate -- and montages

Lots of films made in the mid-to-late Sixties used montages, more often to ill effect. Which is probably why we don't see them much these days.

Comment

I finally saw Kill Bill 1 & 2 on TV last night - in #2 he had a real 70s-esque montage of Uma training with the master. But it was so clearly shot in old school style it seems to be his intention.

Some current rom-coms do slip in a montage but they're not as long as those of the 60s-70s.

However, one that did bug me at the time was The Prince Of Tides. I had read the book and made a point to see the film. It was clearly a drama. But B. Steisand not only starred but directed (if I recall properly) and smack dab in the middle there's this "falling in love" montage of her and Nolte - complete wth soft focus - it was so out of place it bugged the heck out of me. And I wasn't even into writing scripts at the time.
      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I heard Mike Nicholls say they knew they had no second act and had to figure out a way to make it work until the third act.

If I remember, the second act had the majority of the montages, that might have been the reason for it.

Comment

Working...
        X