• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Departed

"Ungh, okay, ya got me, partner."

allright ...'EMBARRASSED'

This is what happens when getting too used to auto-spell check,
    and seeing no red underline, makes you think the word is spelled correctly.

My rant against The Departed stands.

Getting an Oscar for 'adapting' and filming someone else's fully realized, worked on, and filmed
    film-script - makes something of a mockery of the Oscars being given to reward 'original' creativity.

There was almost nothing original about The Departed. Scene reshuffles, Jack Nicholson "playing Jack Nicholson"
    played much better by Anthony Wong (IMO) , and reset in Boston.

Its going to be very funny to see how they 'make' Jack Nicholson younger, and do some of the role requirements
    that require more than hamming it up while sitting down, given his age and creakiness now, to fit into the ongoing
    storyline from Infernal Affairs 2.
    Last edited by IanFraser; 03-01-2007, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IanFraser View Post
      Getting an Oscar for 'adapting' and filming someone else's fully realized, worked on, and filmed film-script - makes something of a mockery of the Oscars being given to reward 'original' creativity.
      This is hardly new, and the Oscars have never been about rewarding originality. Many of the best movies of all time are remakes, adaptations, etc.

Comment

*grumble grumble grumble*

Having lived with the original film for almost four years or so,
        I found the remake really hard to deal with - and especially
        coming from a director who used to do some amazing Film..

so.. *grumble grumble grumble*

Comment

I agree 100% with Ian. It's a ****ing joke. I don't even want to see it.

did anyone recall the last time Best Adapted Screenplay went to an 'adaptation' of another screenplay, and best film went to a remake?
          The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

All right, look, Ian Fraser, William Monahan, a hack - I don't think so. Is his brilliance proven? No, this was his first produced work. Some of the scene writing, was imo, brilliant. Sure, the rest was there, from concept to execution. It's a remake. But for the scene writing to have been what it was that, to me is indication of non-hackdom. The writing of certain scenes was imo, what many of us aspire to. But throw the hack word out there and I have to heatedly disagree.

Do I think it was Oscar material? Not so much. For my money, it was better than the writing in Lost In Translation, but for originality, of course, no. But I digress. And what about Traffic? Gaghan. Screenplay. Oscar. These things happen.

If anyone should be embarrassed it should be you, Ian Fraser for throwing the hack word around. Period.

Good night to you, sir.
            #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Originally posted by Ire View Post
              William Monahan, a hack - I don't think so. Is his brilliance proven? No, this was his first produced work.
              Kingdom of Heaven.

Comment

Oops, my bad.

All right, so Kingdom of Heaven was his first produced work. I was worked up over the hack word. Did KOH scream hack? (not addressed to you IHBL, per se) Just a question.

I say good night and thanks to you, sir. (addressed to IHBL)
                #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Oops, my bad.

All right, so Kingdom of Heaven was his first produced work. I was worked up over the hack word. Did KOH scream hack? (not addressed to you IHBL, per se) Just a question.

I say good night and thanks to you, sir. (addressed to IHBL)
                  No prob, brutha.

I hear you. Search the word "hack," and find the humdinger on Akiva Goldsman. That was a good one.

Apparently us unproduced types love to whip it out on Oscar winners.

Interesting bit of IMDB trivia on Bill Monohan, too:

In the book "Harvard and the Unabomber", by Alston Chase, William Monahan is identified as being the only person to solve the bomber's lexically-based targeting methodology before the Unabomber's capture.

Comment

All right, look, Ian Fraser, William Monahan, a hack - I don't think so. Is his brilliance proven? No, this was his first produced work. Some of the scene writing, was imo, brilliant. Sure, the rest was there, from concept to execution. It's a remake. But for the scene writing to have been what it was that, to me is indication of non-hackdom. The writing of certain scenes was imo, what many of us aspire to. But throw the hack word out there and I have to heatedly disagree.

Do I think it was Oscar material? Not so much. For my money, it was better than the writing in Lost In Translation, but for originality, of course, no. But I digress. And what about Traffic? Gaghan. Screenplay. Oscar. These things happen.

If anyone should be embarrassed it should be you, Ian Fraser for throwing the hack word around. Period.

Good night to you, sir.
                    I couldn't agree more, Bill Monahan is a very intelligent person, who could've been man of letters, but chose the easy route.
                    "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

Working...
                    X