Just read the Narnia thread, has everyone gone insane?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just read the Narnia thread, has everyone gone insane?

The reason i was so dissapointed by this is because it is entirely possible to make solid fantasy with genuine dramatic weight and make it friendly for the under teens. Hell, look at Krull for heavans sake
    Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

I thought it was a good film. Excellent visuals, pacing not too bad, some very good acting.

As a Christian allegory or a work of Christian apologetics, it sort of was, which I was expecting, but on the other hand it sort of wasn't. And then at the end it was a bit . . . English.

Now, if you want to take the kids to a good and clear-cut Christian allegory, take them to see Superman Returns.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimny Wayne View Post
        These punks need to be forcefed turkish delight! Where's DMNY when you need him?!
        Well, do you know how expensive those turkish delights are? I assume you're referring to loukoums ?

Narnia was somewhat fun to watch but nothing I really care for.
        A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
        Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
        Money is better than compliments.

Comment

Originally posted by Cycstorm View Post
          No, I'm sorry but I cannot accept your interpretation. This was a world where almost nothing anyone did mattered. Betray those closest to you? Doesn't matter, you can have instant redemption and forgiveness. Make the ultimate sacrifice? Doesn't matter, you will be magically ressurected. Get injured in any way whatsoever? Doesn't matter we have miracle cure potions. Stay in Narnia forever giving up your home and family? Doesn't matter, you can go home at any time and pick up your life as a child anew.
          What the children did mattered intensely.

The story and theme would have been TOTALLY different if the children had made different choices.

Edmund saved Peter's life, gave Aslan just enough time to make it back. And Edmund did suffer, probably more then you can imagine, as he lay there with his gut torn apart. He didn't know in the moment he stepped between the witch and his brother that he wouldn't die. He probably fully expected to have his head chopped off, or be turned to stone, YET he acted.

The story and theme would have been TOTALLY different if the children had made different choices.

The theme was that faith, obediance, and repentence bring salvation.
          Everything that happened in the film is directly in line with the message that Lewis was trying to convey.

In insisting that these things bring pain and destruction you alter the theme.

You can't change what happened with out creating a totally different story. There are other stories that deal with those issues.

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is a story about hope, about healing. So, it is only natural and consistent to heal, revive, and save.

And just imagine how difficult it would be to go back to the real world and be just a stupid kid again after having ruled a magic kingdom. Having to go back to a war where there are no healing potions? Imagine trying to share your experience with people and being ridiculed or considered a lier, maybe even insane?
          The four children could never fit back in to normal society.

These issues are dealt with in the other stories. They are left off the page in the first film but are conclusions one can come up with on their own.
          Are you going to write "Trust me" in the query?"
          by BellaBella

Comment

Silly story, silly movie. Fun enough, I guess, as far as nonsensical kids movies go --although even as a fantasy adventure, it lacked any grandeur or urgency.

Comment

Scripter1, you clearly have a massive understanding of both this book and the writings of CS Lewis in general. I cannot help but get the impression from your writings that this understanding compensates you in a way that people without such understanding are not privy to.

These things that you say about Edmund and how he felt and the internal pain and torment was infinately worse than his guts torn open might well be present on the page, but I am talking about what was visually and emotionally presented on the screen in this film, and they simply are not there.
              Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Working...
              X