Just read the Narnia thread, has everyone gone insane?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just read the Narnia thread, has everyone gone insane?

These punks need to be forcefed turkish delight! Where's DMNY when you need him?!

Comment

I am an ex pat Englishman and my love of Turkish Delight was nurtured by my grandmother since i could eat solids. I regularly have a box imported from England (I prefer a specific off brand unavailable in the states). I eat the stuff every single day and i thought this film was poor. Your brutal coercion tactics will serve you no good here, Jimmy Wayne.
      Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

I see the white witch got to you too. And by the white witch I mean Nanci Pelosi.

Comment

And once again Jimny magically makes the thread political.

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
          It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
          -- Potter Stewart

Comment

sorry

duplicate posting.
            Last edited by scripter1; 10-15-2006, 05:50 PM. Reason: duplicate posting
            Are you going to write "Trust me" in the query?"
            by BellaBella

Comment

Slap me in a straight jacket.

I loved the film.

Here is my analysis of it strictly from screenwriting principals.

We started out with four kids caught in the middle of a War. We've got two very distinct characters who are at odds with each other.

That's STORY 101 right there.
              That is stuff happening right there.
              BAM, we see the conflict.

These four children are transported AWAY from the war, to a place they are supposed to be safe. There they experience more family conflict and the two main characters are set more at odds with each other.
              It's simple, it's real, it's belivable.
              No, it wasn't intense action but they didn't try TOO hard and go over the top. We got to see the story develop in a very normal, belivable way.
              If I were a kid in a huge house on a rainy day then exploring or hide and go seek would be a given.

Then one child steps in to another world.
              This brings in yet MORE conflict.

Problem child enters "the new world", becomes the secondary antag, setting up future conflicts.

Then ALL four end up in the new world and discover that they are in EVEN more danger then they were before they left home. At least there the bombs were indifferent. NOW they are the main targets and as was clearly illustrated by the condition of the faun's house, the garden of statues at the ice castle, the scene outside of badgers, and with the butterfly, they are INDEED in a great deal of real danger.

One thing the books made clear that the movie did not is how the magic of Narnia and the very mentioning of Aslan changed the children. And how the Turkish Delight had changed Edmund. While Peter, Lucy, and Susan were getting stronger and becoming better people Edmund was being twisted inside by the conflicting magics. Peter was able to become the High King because of the magic of Narnia and because of the order set up from its foundation. (you have to wait until The Magician's Nephew to learn that though.)

So, the movie failed on that story point. And grant it, it's a BIG one.

I could go on, but the major points of storytelling are all there, and plenty of things DO happen. The chase scene from Beaver's house is rising tension, the choice to leave Edmund in the witch's house, and the choice at the waterfall are all dramatic moments.

I felt very moved and touched by them.
              I belived the danger was real EXACTLY for the reason that it had been set up. What I got from it was that they had really close calls BUT the grace of Aslan was with them. Aslan was aware of them and was working his own magic which protected them AS LONG AS THEY DIDN'T CHOSE THE WITCH'S WAY. IF they gave into that tempation along the way then it would have been a very, very different story.

So, even though we hadn't fully met Alsan yet he was an active protector.

From what I understand of screenwriting principals they got it right.

Slap me in a straight jacket.
              by BellaBella

Comment

Re: Slap me in a straight jacket.

Originally posted by scripter1 View Post
                I loved the film.
                I think that was obvious from your two sequential posts...

Comment

No big lips, something is screwy with my java scripts so the computer doesn't recognize that I've all ready logged in.
                  Somehow when I went to edit the original message it reposted it instead.
                  I was kind enough to, not wanting to expose all to a double dosage of my drival, delete it pronto.

Wasn't that obvious?

Can we get back to the OP's point?
                  by BellaBella

Comment

Yes... carry on.

Comment

Yes, thank you, I will.

There were consequences though because Edmund was mortally wounded and yes, there was the easy magic of the healing potion. It was very symbolic of the real healing that had happened between the children. Though all the children survived, sure by the dues x machina, there were still casualties. The creatures that were dead, such as the ones who were turned to stone and then smashed, could not be made whole again.

The four children DIDN'T just have to trust to faith, they had to D O!
                      Peter HAD to fight the wolf, he had to lead the armies, he had to look death in the face, ALL while beliving that he was alone. That Aslan was dead. Aslan didn't step in until the moment that Peter had done ALL that he could. When that WASN'T enough Aslan was there to save him.
                      Edmund had to admit that he had been wrong, that he had in fact endangered those who loved him. He had to bare the guilt that everyone's beloved Aslan was going to suffer and die because of HIM. He had to face up to his fears of death and be willing to die for Peter.
                      Susan had to accept that she had been wrong all along and that she didn't know everything.
                      Lucy had to keep trusting and beliving in the face of persecution.

So, they all did learn something and have to work very, very hard at it.

Cycstorm, I'm curious as to how you might have reworked the story to fix the problems you observed.
                      Last edited by scripter1; 10-15-2006, 06:50 PM. Reason: realized I had misunderstood OP's meaning.
                      by BellaBella

Comment

Aslan is on the move....bitches.

Comment

No, I'm sorry but I cannot accept your interpretation. This was a world where almost nothing anyone did mattered. Betray those closest to you? Doesn't matter, you can have instant redemption and forgiveness. Make the ultimate sacrifice? Doesn't matter, you will be magically ressurected. Get injured in any way whatsoever? Doesn't matter we have miracle cure potions. Stay in Narnia forever giving up your home and family? Doesn't matter, you can go home at any time and pick up your life as a child anew.

Comment

Well its a very poor childrens film. Give me Willow any day.

Comment

You're a very poor children's film!

Comment

If you say so.

Comment

Working...
                                X