No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Prairie Home Companion

Just got this off the netflix que.

I spend my adolescence in Minnesota. You couldn't be alive then and not know about Garrison Keillor or the show Prairie Home Companion.

It was full of sly nostalgic humor with lots of folksy music.

As a teen, I utterly despised it. it was every thing every suburban teen rebel stands against; good family entertainment.

And the movie is pretty much exactly the same.

Sly nostalgic humor with some adult content that will fly right over the heads of children. Although there are some good moments, especially around the line "I want people to remember me, not be told to remember me."

The piece is well written, but I feel is suffers from too much singing. Too many musical numbers really cut into the meat of this movie, and I feel it the themes it was dealing with were lessened because of it.

However, it's still a good film to watch with a family. Maybe even your own.

Re: A Prairie Home Companion

I want to see it, you're the first I've heard that has said much about it. Thanks.

Comment

Re: A Prairie Home Companion

Enjoyed this more than I thought I would. The tepid reviews didn't help, but since it was Robert Altman's last flick I thought I should see it. The fact that it focuses on death and the character who dies looks so much like Altman makes it pretty obvious what he was trying to say. A friend of mine who knew him said death was very much on his mind while making the movie.

I only knew the radio show from the NPR broadcasts and was never a huge fan, but was always entertained by it. The movie was like a stroll down memory lane and in true Altman fashion the multi-character story with complex interweaving of scenes/locations is in full bloom. You'd see part of a song performance and cut to backstage where you'd hear the song playing over an unrelated scene. This was used to nice effect. My favorite characters with Dusty and Lefty played by Woody Harrelson and John C. Reilly. So fun.

Definitely a bittersweet movie to watch in the face of Altman's recent death.
      http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Working...
      X