Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoiler Free Night Watch Review

Seems this slipped under the radar of a lot of people, so I would like to bring it to your attention because Its damn good.

A contemporary low budget surrealist horror film, it is the first adaptation for a best selling trilogy of novels by Sergi Lukyanenko, the second is already released in the home country and we should anticipate its arrival soon.
    Set in modern day Moscow this film picks up in the middle of a tentative truce struck between two factions of vampires to end a war hundreds of years in the past. The lore states that no vampire, or "others- as they are known, can be forced into either goodness or evil, they must choose willingly. The result is two tribes, the dark, who police the truce via their officers of Daywatch, and the light who operate the mirror group Nightwatch. When unlicensed attacks on humans and each other begin to take place Anton, officer of Nightwatch, must lead his team to discover who is trying to dissolve the truce, and work to stop an age old prophecy that will destroy both factions forever.
    From the opening, this film is a visceral assault on the senses that will leave you reeling and breathless. Boasting the kind of camera work that would make David Fincher's jaw drop, witness a bolt dropping from a plane 25,000 feet in the air falling into a cup of coffee, or the 360 degree front flip of a jet turbine powered truck as a Nightwatch team races to an incident. This film grabs you by the short hairs and doesn't let up. Standout scenes include a fight shot from the perspective of shattered mirror pieces flying through the air and an impressive scrap featuring vampires morphing into beasts. It also features some of the most inventive incorporations of subtitles ever seen. This gritty and grubby world resonates an authenticity that rings out like an air raid siren, there is none of the gloss of Blade here, just blood sweat and dirt. It is certainly a film that demands your strict attention, try to watch it while doing the ironing at your peril. Stick with it however and you will come away puzzled but immensely satisfied and hungry for more.
    Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Re: Spoiler Free Night Watch Review

It's actually come up a few times, it looks like the threads on it have hit the delete file.

glad you liked it. I'm looking forward to the next two installments.

Comment

A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
      Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
      Money is better than compliments.

Comment

I hadn't seen it at that point, just read some good things. I remember not many people replying though.

Comment

Good movie that sets the mood for the rest of the trilogy. Keeps you moving although the action scenes are sparingly used but to a good effect.

If you are into Gothic matter, this will bring you a good smile. It made me smirk.
          A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
          Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
          Money is better than compliments.

Comment

I'll be the voice of dissent (a role I seem to fill quite well on the boards...) and offer my worthless two pennies that I thought the film sucked. No pun intended.

Painful to sit through.

Comment

An Unbeliever! Persecute, kill the heretic!

Comment

I liked it a lot and am eagerly awaiting the next installment. I think I probably said something to the same effect in the other thread.

And the subtitles were very well done. Nice idiomatic translations. I'm pretty sure I said that, too.
                "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
                ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

I got stooged on the subtitles. The dvd I rented had subtitles...but just normal crappy ones or you could watch a dubbed version.

What gives?!

Did anyone else in Oz have this? Not you cowardly Lion...you've had yours.
                  One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

Working...
                  X