"Mind game" movies like Hard Candy - can you recommend some?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mind game" movies like Hard Candy - can you recommend some?

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if I could get some recommendations of films involving characters playing games on each other, for e.g. the French film "Funny Games" - that sort of thing, preferably thrillers - anything where the game aspect is a big part of the fim.

Thanks!

Re: "Mind game" movies like Hard Candy - can you recommend some?

Um... like, what's that one movie called? Damn... it's... it's right on the tip of my tongue. The... the, no... yeah!

THE GAME

Comment

Well, HARD CANDY weren't no "game" kimosabe.

I dunno if it's what you mean, but if running a scam is a "game" ...
      THE STING
      THE GRIFTERS
      Somebody refresh my memory: MOUSE TRAP and FAMILY PLOT (long time no see)

THE SPANISH PRISONER
      etc
      sigpic
      "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
      that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
      -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Also... check out the french flick "The Dinner Game." It's pretty damn funny.

Comment

SLEUTH with Michael Caine and Sir Laurence Olivier is - for me - the ultimate mind game movie.

Comment

Originally posted by JWB View Post
            SLEUTH with Michael Caine and Sir Laurence Olivier is - for me - the ultimate mind game movie.
            Damn! Beat me to it.

Total Recall, maybe? That's a stretch, I guess.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?

Comment

The Last of Sheila... Great mystery. Great cast. James Coburn as a producer playing a sick game on Hollywood types -- a screenwriter, director, agent, starlet, etc. -- who ends up the victim of it.

Comment

I got one more:

The Stunt Man with Peter O'Toole and Steve Railsback

Comment

Matchstick Men -- although this is a light variety of the mind game.

It's actually one of my cherished movies.
                  Last edited by Synthia; 10-28-2006, 08:38 AM.
                  "The question isn't who will let me, but who is going to stop me?," -- Ayn Rand (via Howard Roark in The Fountainhead)

Comment

Well, I felt Oleanna and Swimming With Sharks were quite like Hard Candy though not quite "mind game" movies.

Comment

The Prestige

Hurlyburly
                      , maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by tabula rasa View Post
                        Well, HARD CANDY weren't no "game" kimosabe.
                        Sure it was. She was fvcking with him. A big fvcking mind game. She was just playing for keeps.
                        http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Wouldn't The Blair Witch Project fall into that realm? The actors weren't portraying people having their minds messed with, they were being headgamed by the director during filming.
                          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Damn, can't believe I or no one else mentioned this one:

IN THE COMPANY OF MEN.

Damn, I love that movie. Add to that another Labute: THE SHAPE OF THINGS.

I didn't take the OP to mean con movies, which I see a lot of. Those are usually motivated by greed, not a personal agenda...

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
                              Um... like, what's that one movie called? Damn... it's... it's right on the tip of my tongue. The... the, no... yeah!

THE GAME
                              one of my favorite movies
                              "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X