Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Narrated DVDs

Since I've started to write screenplays, I've gotten hooked on the narrated version of films that are often included on DVDs. I just listened to Bo Goldman explain "Butch Cassidy .... " I t was fascinating. You guys have probably been watching them forever. Does anyone have a favorite?

Re: Narrated DVDs

I believe you mean commentary tracks.

I really enjoyed Tobe Hooper, Gunnar Hansen and Daniel Pearl on the dvd of the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre. A lot of information (often humorous) about the troubles that went along with making the film.

James Cameron and William Wisher Jr. on Terminator 2 is also very enjoyable.

Now I'm drawing a complete blank. Can't even remember what I like. That's when you know it's bedtime.

Comment

coppola - godfather trilogy and the conversation.

paul thomas anderson - boogie nights.
      "everything a writer learns about the art and craft of fiction takes just a little away from his need or desire to write at all. in the end he knows all the tricks and has nothing to say."

Comment

The commentaries for Lord Of The Rings is extensive and exhaustive, and it covers all aspects of the film. One for the actors, one for PJ and the two other writers and one for production.

It'll take 27 or so hours to hear them all though.
        One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

28 days later - writer and director
          black hawk down - 3 tracks - scott & bruckheimer/writers/army guys
          POTC - 2 tracks - director and depp/the writers
          hellboy - 2 tracks - director and mike mignola/cast (jeffrey tambor ftw)
          out of sight/ocean's eleven - soderbergh and the writers
          sideways - giamatti and hayden-church are funny people
          jarhead - author and screenwriter
          mr and mrs smith - director and writer
          heat/collateral - michael mann
          incredibles - brad bird

i rip them, convert them to mp3 and put them on my ipod to listen to at work...

yes, i need help =)
          Aiming for mediocrity and falling well short =)

Comment

Originally posted by habronic View Post

i rip them, convert them to mp3 and put them on my ipod to listen to at work...

yes, i need help =)
            i thought i was the only one who did this.
            "everything a writer learns about the art and craft of fiction takes just a little away from his need or desire to write at all. in the end he knows all the tricks and has nothing to say."

Comment

House of Sand and Fog - writer/director, novel author and Ben Kingsley. Very good commentary.

Heat and Collateral - Michael Mann gives a lot of insight.

Comment

I love a good commentary track!

Here's an earlier thread on the subject:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...dvd+commentary

GOSFORD PARK, Julian Fellowes-- He's from that world & gives entertaining info on what it was like & who inspired what in the movie.

Also like Brent Hanley on FRAILTY. It was his 1st produced script & the joy in his voice is nice to experience.

I try to avoid the actors' comm whenever possible. They're mostly rubbish. Usually just a bunch of lame ass kissing & "oh, it was really cold that day..." comments. Nothing really informatave for writers.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Originally posted by stvnlra View Post
                  I love a good commentary track!

Here's an earlier thread on the subject:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...dvd+commentary

GOSFORD PARK, Julian Fellowes-- He's from that world & gives entertaining info on what it was like & who inspired what in the movie.

Also like Brent Hanley on FRAILTY. It was his 1st produced script & the joy in his voice is nice to experience.

I try to avoid the actors' comm whenever possible. They're mostly rubbish. Usually just a bunch of lame ass kissing & "oh, it was really cold that day..." comments. Nothing really informatave for writers.
                  That's great. Thanks very much. Now all I have to do is resist the temptation of renting the best of these instead of writing. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by OzFade View Post
                    The commentaries for Lord Of The Rings is extensive and exhaustive, and it covers all aspects of the film. One for the actors, one for PJ and the two other writers and one for production.

It'll take 27 or so hours to hear them all though.
                    and one for post-production
                    If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed. -- Stanley Kubrick

Comment

Crap there were 4 commentaries!

Make that 36 hours then.
                      One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by prince pantyhose View Post
                        i thought i was the only one who did this.

i bought POTC 2 the other day and was more excited to hear ted and terry's commentary than i was to watch the movie. =)
                        Aiming for mediocrity and falling well short =)

Comment

Originally posted by stvnlra View Post
                          Ugh. I couldn't even get past 30 minutes of that. It was a total bore. Didn't hear much on writing, either.

He's the god damn writer, he should talk about writing.

Nothing sucks more than a writer on a commentary who talks about everything BUT writing...like Tarantino on True Romance and Alan Ball on American Beauty (where he almost literally didn't open his mouth at all).

Comment

Working...
                          X