Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson's "Apocalypto" Receives Rave Reviews

Variety calls Mel's film a remarkable achievement. Others say it's the best film of the year (dream on Dreamgirls).

Will the Academy overlook Mad Mel's anti-Semetic drunken tirade and nominate the Yankee-Aussie's film for a Best Picture Oscar? Oh yes, the movie is spoken in ancient Mayan with English subtitles and there are no A-List movie stars in it...

Re: Gibson's "Apocalypto" Receives Rave Reviews

To me this just looks like a yawn. Just doesn't interest me....and 3 other people have said the same thing to me.
    "The two hardest words to write are FADE IN. The two most gratifying are FADE OUT."

Comment

The movie has always looked fascinating to me. But even before "the incident" I didn't plan on seeing it until DVD.

Comment

I'll be seeing this one.
        sigpic

Comment

I already wanted to see it but now I really want to! I've never seen CE this excited
          @PatriotFrames

Comment

I think it looks fascinating/F-ing awesome! too.

It's so DIFFERENT. Like nothing else out there.

And i'm Mexican & i was an Anthropology major... so there.

Hope it's good.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

This is getting big exposure on latin american TV. Lots of commercials,
              pieces on entertainment shows, interviews with Mel who speaks some
              good spanish.

It looks and sounds like The Mission on PCP. I'll see it.

I think also fashion will follow the movie with "mayan blue" the
              "in" color.
              myhomeconvalesceblog

Comment

It looks great, and I'll race to see it ASAP. But it is a hard sell (for reasons above: R-rated kills a big swathe of audience, Yucatec dialogue, no stars, odd period in history not so many people know about, etc)

Mel Gibson's drunken rant aside*, it wouldn't have been huge box office (just a great movie) ... but when it doesn't do huge box office, the Mel-haters will claim victory. So what? Enjoy it or don't. Mel flirted with an NC-17 (I read), was happy with an R ... and knows what that means to BO.

He made the movie he envisioned, and as a filmmaker "Power To Him" for that. He has his Oscar, he don't got to politic and crave himself out for any more Oscars. He's probably enough of a brawlin' Aussie rooster (tho NYC born, I thought someone said) to prize being his own man and doing his own artistic thing more anyway.

He's just gotta not hand his own manhood over to drink.

All I know is, I watched the previews to APOCALYPTO at the theater to see THE FOUNTAIN ... and those movies restored my passion for filmmakers being VISIONARY again.

Visionary ... and willing to stand up against the Hollywood suits and creative hacks who aren't.

*Gibson's rant NOT aside: he was drunk, legally NOT in control (legally not of his car, probably not of his mouth or his rage) ... and did he use the "K" word? He expressed some piss-bad historical analysis about the Jews, definitely, he spouted his father's paranoia maybe ... ignorance may not be hate, I dunno.

Michael Richards ... he insulted, he brought up memories of lynchings. He can't claim to have been medically/addictively-derailed by demon tequila.
                sigpic
                "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
                that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
                -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Originally posted by creativexec
                  I thought it was ****ing awesome.

BTW, it's so beautifully shot, it should be seen on the big screen.
                  Ed Limato made CE say that.

Comment

CE thought Inside Man was good.
                    The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

I've heard that it's brutal and majestic at the same time. I can't wait...
                      Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

Originally posted by writer0825 View Post
                        To me this just looks like a yawn. Just doesn't interest me....and 3 other people have said the same thing to me.
                        I love this...I don't know why, but it cracks me up. Those 3 people sure do add legitimacy to your argument. Well done.
                        "This is insane, he has space dimentia" - a line from Armageddon

Comment

This review is no rave...it's more of a personal attack.

http://www.villagevoice.com/film/064...,75217,20.html

Comment

Well, then...there's a reviewer I can trust not to let personal bias get in the way of objective criticism.
                            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

It is THIS Friday that this comes out right?

Comment

Working...
                              X