Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Babel

I'm going to make a liar out of myself and see this in theaters tomorrow (re-released after it's Globe wins). I only saw 21 Grams after Babel had left theaters and enjoyed it so much that I'm braving the elements to see something else from the director who's name I cannot spell.

I was planning on Pan's Labyrinth or The Last King of Scotland, but oh well.

Comment

Re: Babel's theme

I just saw it. One of the most intense flicks I've seen in a long time. CRASH times ten.

I can see where some didn't get the theme. It wasn't as obvious as the racism in CRASH. But I saw something else in addition to the absentee father theme. To me, it was political -- about rush to judgement.

SPOILERS: First of all, they were all quick to rush to judgement and blame the shooting on terrorism. It was two young kids who did something stupid with a gun -- but it almost escalated into a huge international crisis.

They were quick to rush to judgement and blame the Mexican housekeeper for being negligent when it came to the kids.

Everyone was quick to rush to judgement about the Japanese schoolgirl without understanding what was going on in her head (until the cop towards the end).

In our global world today, many of the leaders certainly rush to judgement -- just like Bush invading Iraq. Everything is black and white in that world. BABEL tried to show that we have to dig deeper to find the truth. Anyway, that's my interpretation of it.

Comment

Finally got round to seeing this and all I can say is: wow.

I wish I'd caught it sooner. Comparisons to CRASH are as unsurprising as they are off base. It succeeds in every area that CRASH failed for me. Heartbreaking without the melodrama, strong thematic elements without shoving its message down your throat. And though I had a couple of issues with it, there were some moments that were just... phenomenal.

It really was the sort of film that reminded me just how good cinema can be.
        twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

I had been wanting to see this for a long time, and was underwhelmed. It was beautifully shot, and there were some great performances, but it didn't resonate with me. I also thought it was a bit pretentious. I often like movies that don't have a story, and are just a series of events that the characters react to, but I guess I was just hoping for a little... more. I wouldn't say I didn't like it, because I did - I just had high expectations.

All that said - this director is of course, one to watch. I'll check out his next movie for sure.

Comment

Working...
          X