Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great 'coming together" moments...

More research for my script, but also a bit of fun too. I'll post more details on the screenwriting forum, but thought I'd get some ideas from you guys re existing films first. (An excuse to catch up on some great movies. But what the hey.)

What are your favourite romantic coming together moments in films? Don't worry about genre, or if it's the film's resolution (though that's what I'm working on for my script). What I want to know is why these coming together moments mean something to you. Why do you want these couples to get together? (Assuming it's not only about getting your rocks off.) Subtle is as good as dramatic. For me, it's moments like, in Lost in Translation, when Bill Murray whispers in Scarlet's ear. Or the New Year's party scene in When Harry Met Sally. But it doesn't have to be rom com or even the main story thread - just the realisation of URST and why/how it works.

Thanks in advance... You guys rock.
    sigpic

Website
    Tweets
    Book

Re: Great 'coming together" moments...

French Kiss (by Adams Brooks), plane scene between the French-accented Kevin Kline and Meg Ryan. Brilliant. This is my all-time
    favorite rom-com.

Why do I want them to come together? Because they're complete opposites yet both totally likeable and balance each other in a yin-yang way. And the dialogue was perfect.

The original "Little Shop Around The Corner" is also excellent.

It was revamped for "You've Got Mail" but it's the premise which the latter lifted from the former - how two "anonymous" people writing to each other can be more themselves, and reveal more of themselves, than they can in person when all ego defenses are up.

Aside - I think I appreciate Meg Ryan more in hindsight now tht she's too long in the tooth to do rom-coms. No one was better at being vulnerable - not even Julia Roberts. And there's no one who can replace either of them in the next generation - IMO.

Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by nic.h View Post
      ... when Bill Murray whispers in Scarlet's ear.
      I stayed awake as long as I could, hoping she would take off her shirt or something, but I must have fallen asleep by that part.

Comment

It's the ending. Yeah, I know. It's a love it or hate it kind of film. I'm of the former, though I recognise its flaws, and would change bits. But that ending... I LOVE that ending. I didn't want them to kiss. (He's married, and so's she!) And no dialogue would have lived up to my expectations. So although many see the whisper as a cop out, it worked for me. It matched the mood, the moment, and the characters to perfection.
        sigpic

Website
        Tweets
        Book

Comment

SC111 - I'd forgotten that film. Will definitely take another look. I remember enjoying it, but can't remember anything except how openly the (stereotypical) French admitted to hating the (stereotypical) Americans, and how (as an Australian who'd known this for a long time - they hate only the English more) it seemed quite amazing to see an American film make fun of this, and themselves, in such a nice self-parody. Hadn't noticed them do that much before except in Four Weddings which (not surprisingly) was written by a POM.

Thanks. I'll try to scrounge up the script.
          sigpic

Website
          Tweets
          Book

Comment

Does Meg take off her top?

Comment

Here is my favorite -- It is one from a comedy that I wrote - I posted some of the pages under "Medicating Kelly Pickler" a couple weeks ago. And before you say anything about the inclusion of the Pixies song, it was inserted by the producer/director. The song matches up great with the scene.

This is a cheesy sell-out scene necessary for broad comedies, but I love it anyway.

In this scene, after a LONG seperation (the beginning of the movie), Jobe is picking up his crazy girlfriend (she was off her meds hut is OK now) from the mental institution where his evil lawyer had her incarcerated.

INT. MENTAL INSTITUTION - EVENING

MUSIC: The Pixies' "WHERE IS MY MIND.-

SLOW MOTION:

In his softball uniform, Jobe walks into the lobby on cloud nine. He carries flowers in one hand and a set of papers in the other. An additional Jersey with the name CRAZY is draped over his shoulder.

We see an exasperated Jobe show the nurse an INPATIENT RELEASE. The NURSE points to a clock. Jobe continues to plead his case and point to papers in his hand. Jobe's eyes glaze over as the Nurse explains some B.S. to Jobe.

Jobe notices a ring of keys on the front desk. As the Nurse is talking, Jobe drops the flowers, grabs the keys and makes a break for it.

We see him slide around a corner.

Close behind, two orderlies slide around the corner and give chase.

We see Jobe yell Kelly's name.

Kelly hears something. She drops her toothpaste and runs to her bedroom door.

Jobe maniacally runs down the hall yelling for Kelly.

Kelly's face peers out the small door window.

Jobe high steps away from a diving orderly.

Kelly knows she hears him. She yells into the glass window -- bangs the door and starts shaking the doorknob.

Jobe does an NFL 360 spin move away from another orderly, and stiff arms another and continues sprinting down the hall.

Kelly goes ape-sh!t banging on the door -- punching it.

Jobe hears her and puts on the brakes -- their eyes lock as he slides by her door window.

Kelly screams with joy -- continues shaking the handle.

Jobe returns to the door and tries two keys before getting in and opening the door into the room.

END SLOW MOTION

INSIDE KELLY'S ROOM

Jobe swings the door open -- Kelly is airborn -- she jumps onto Jobe like a Kuala and knocks him backwards. To keep from falling, Jobe grabs the door and pulls it shut.

Jobe pins her against the door and they kiss.

Orderlies try to force open the door. They kiss and barricade the door at the same time. While kissing Kelly, he pins the COURT RELEASE to the window of the door.

Eventually, the banging on the door stops.

We see Jobe's face through the window. Kelly is kissing his cheek. He pleads for "five minutes- with his hand.

The orderlies look to the nurse -- her stern face breaks into a slight smile of disbelief -- she nods.

In the room, Kelly stands a half-foot away from Jobe.

KELLY
              Sorry I missed your birthday. I didn't know if you were coming back.

JOBE
              Of course I was.

KELLY
              Leggos?

JOBE
              Just like...

Kelly whips her arms around Jobe.

JOBE
              ...Leggos.

KELLY
              Sorry I stole Grand Theft Auto. You're not mad?

JOBE
              Same team Kuala Bear.

As she kisses Jobe standing on her tippy toes, Kelly turns into a Kuala bear, and climbs Jobe. Kelly locks her legs over his hips and has her arms linked around his neck. She sees the number on Jobe's jersey.

KELLY
              We have a softball game?

JOBE
              Sure do. Baynard Stadium. Lots of people. You ready to get changed?

KELLY
              Clothes would be good. This hospital gown shows my butt-crack. Can you see my butt-crack?

JOBE
              Yup.

KELLY
              I knew it. You wanna' know how I knew?

Kelly grabs Jobe's crotch.

KELLY
              It seems you've grown another branch Mr. Tree.

She slowly moves up and down Jobe's body.

KELLY
              You think we have time?

ON THE BED
              Two grey socks are up in the air and bouncing in unison to the squeaking sound of the bedsprings.

KELLY (O.S.)
              Oh God. Oh God.

JOBE (O.S.)
              Already?

KELLY (O.S.)
              Keep--going--Mr.--Tree! Ohhhhh! Ohhhhhhhhh!

Silence. Deep breaths.

KELLY (O.S.)
              Whoooooooo! Always knew I'd nail me a ballplayer. Now I can play with your balls. Hello balls.

They laugh loudly together.

LATER
              Smiling like the world belongs to her, Kelly is putting her softball uniform on. Jobe still lays on the bed taking in the moment.

JOBE
              You're a good woman Kelly. I know I probably don't tell you that enough. But you are.

KELLY
              Awwwww... you're a good woman too Jobe. I missed a lot of work... I'll probably be fired from the daycare center right?

JOBE
              Yeah... ummm we don't have to worry about that anymore.

KELLY
              (not knowing the truth)
              Why, we millionaires?

JOBE
              Yup.

KELLY
              Good. We need more pudding.

She kisses him on the cheek and waits by the door to exit.
              "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

I'm sure there are more but the first scene that pops into my mind is one from Love Actually. Where Colin Firth's character returns to propose, and they have both learned a little bit of each other's language. It is fantastically written with equal parts tenderness and humor.

Comment

In "Defending your Life", when Brooks jumps off the bus and chases down Streep in her bus (hers goes to heaven, and his is supposed to take him back to earth). Worked very well emotionally for me.

Comment

I second Shop Around the Corner. It's one of my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by jessejames View Post
                      I'm sure there are more but the first scene that pops into my mind is one from Love Actually. Where Colin Firth's character returns to propose, and they have both learned a little bit of each other's language. It is fantastically written with equal parts tenderness and humor.

LOL, and the father berates his fat daughter. Ah, we laffed and laffed.

Comment

there is a great airport scene but I can't remember the movie and this has been bugging me for a while. Not "another teen movie" and not "cruel intentions". I seem to remember the girl kneeling on the ground or something. Help -- anybody? This has been driving me nuts.
                        "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

Garden State?

Comment

Originally posted by jessejames View Post
                            Garden State?
                            You are fn' stellar. Mucho Apricianado. That's Canadian for "Thanks."

Comment

Originally posted by nic.h View Post
                              - just the realisation of URST and why/how it works.
                              What the heck is URST? I can't keep track of all the acronyms anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X